Complete France Forum

annual running costs

[:D]

Hi

Can anybody help me,i am looking to purchase a small cottage/gite to use as a holiday home (it will not be rented out) which i can use more upon retirement,but would only be used for about 3 months for the next few years.Can anybody tell me what the approx annual costs would be I.E. local taxes (council tax) etc.

Thanks for your help.

David

David

Its not possible to give a ball park figure for council taxes (called fonciers and D'habitation here), each property is different and the rates differs from commune to commune and department to department, I pay half what a friend in the Tarn pays but we have totally different houses.  All you are likely to get are people posting I pay xxx for a xxx in dept xx which will be no help to you whatsoever.

As a ball park figure reckon that the cost of a French house will be the same to run pro-rata  for the period of your stay as your UK house, with the swings and roundabouts of cheaper and dearer things, you will not be far out, do not assume that France will be significantly cheaper than the UK, if you move to some parts it will but for example the Provence and SE coast areas you may find its a lot dearer than the UK.  

Archived