Complete France Forum

Getting architects to do anything!

Hegs

We have had two architects round to advise on our renovation project. We have explained what we want, they have given us a rough idea of price, we say OK (and its big money), start the process rolling... they say, a little busy right now, we'll get in touch in a month.

Then nothing happens, email, we give a little more time, email architects etc - nothing. I really don't want to use an architect that requires pushing all the time as I travel a lot.

We've lost about 6 months this way, we need an architect as we need planning permission for some parts of the work and it is >170m2.

So, come on, who can tell me what I'm doing wrong, or who can recommend a professional architect in 09 or 11 that keeps their promises.

LAST EDITED ON 17-Jul-04 AT 01:04 AM (BST)

This is the worst aspect about getting *anything* done in France. Constantly chasing people that are supposed to be working for *you*.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just not the same ethic here in France. I heard a funny expression once that sums up French customer service in France quite nicely: "In France the client is King... you should see what they do to their kings"

You can "DIY" it, but an architect (or other professional) who is used to doing planning applications knows what will and especially what will *not* go down with the DDE (planning authority). Plus, if you get the slightest thing wrong then they'll send it back and delay your permission even longer. Do you know where to place your septic tank and how long your sand trap should be? We didn't!

We had considered doing the plans ourself and trying to find an architect to sign them for us (504m) and started doing them with some software I found, but the results looked ridiculous compared to "real" planning applications.

We used a really good architect who was very reliable and fast and got us our planning permission 2 weeks after it was applied for - fairly unheard of. She's been a really good source of information for us since, too.

If you want to contact our architect her email address is armelle.canchon@architectes.org. I know she does work all over France and we were agreably surprised at her rates.

Archived