Complete France Forum

Paint or crpi?

SaligoBay

This morning's man said crpi is best, it lasts for ever, doesn't discolour, gives you a thicker coating on the walls, fills in the little cracks etc.

This evening's man, who's a painter rather than a crpier, said "le crpi, a ne sert rien", and acrylic paint is the answer.

Crpi is dearer, does it justify the difference in price?

Thank you,

I would choose crpi (although it has received much critisism from time to time on this forum).
Unlike most paints:-
It is produced using stable pigments - it is less vulnerable to fading;
It is usually applied at a constant density - the colour is more evenly applied;
It only allows air to travel through it - it permits the underneath structure to breath but is an effective barrier to water and dirt;
It can hide surface imperfections.

Years ago I used a paint for which some similar claims were made. I think it was a "Decadex" product. It worked - but I didn't know about crpi then. It had a ten year guarentee provided it was applied only in certain circumstances. Maybe technology has moved on - but I doubt it has moved much further.
Rob

I to would use prappy as I call it. It's worth getting it put on profesionally (with a machine) and NEVER paint over it. It does discolour down at the footings but a power washer cleans it of OK.

Our house is 20 years old and there is nothing wrong with the coating. Somebody painted theres over the way and now has to do it every 5 to 7 years. A painter will want you to paint, it's more money for him in the long run.

Don't use any UK products as they are not really designed for over here. There was a guy once who told me he bought his shutter paint from Wicks, it was cheap and he did it every year. My paint which I bought here cost twice as much but is warranted for 9 years. Thgere is nothing wrong with the Wicks stuff it's just that its not designed for the temps we get down here in Southern France.

Chris

http://www.chambresdhote.com

Archived