Complete France Forum

Best Wood for Pergola?

Fontremy

We have a very large pergola stretching all the way across 4 houses in the Charente Maritime. Trouble is the people who originally built it used wood which has split, warped and is now in generally poor condition. I guess I know why they did this - cost! Anyway, we are going to have to replace it in the autumn.

Does anyone have any advice on the best value wood to use - in other words wood that will last but doesn't cost a fortune (if there is such a thing)? Also, where's the best place to buy it?

>We have a very large pergola
>stretching all the way across
>4 houses in the Charente
>Maritime.
>
>Does anyone have any advice on
>the best value wood to
>use -
>Also, where's the best place
>to buy it?

Have you thought of asking a Menuisier? We have employed one who lives in Tanzac and even if he can't do the job for you he may be prepared to advise you. He has made window and door shutters for us and really is a master craftsman. Of course he is well know, very good and therefore very busy so be prepared to wait if you do ask him to do the job.
Let me know if you want his details.

Gill

Hello.

You'll need a class 4 wood. The cheapest, longest lasting one is the treated pine (pin trait autoclave), but it's no friend of the environment.

If you are more ecologically minded then an exotic wood will be fine. Much more expensive though.

You can get the wood in at a builders merchants like Pinaux or Point P. Make sure you put them all in competition with each other to get the best price on a big order like this.

Good luck!

Ben Symons
www.idealfrance.com

I would suggest you consider green oak,it has a lot of character,and may not be as expensive as you think.(In the UK approx 16 cubic foot,not to be confused with air dried oak used for joinery approx 70 cubic foot,I believe it may be cheaper in France)
Regards Tony

Archived