Complete France Forum

Occasional electrical problem

Jhc

Hi - any ideas on how to solve this gratefully received. In one of our gites the electrical supply has cut out during the night - but not consistently and not at the same time - it's happened about 3 or 4 times over the last 3 weeks. About 3 years ago a similar thing happened in that gite (though on consecutive nights) and an elecrician came, took the water heater apart, found nothing wrong and assured us that our electic supply was more than big enough for the amount of appliances. It was then problem free until the last couple of weeks. It has happened even when only the fridge and water heater have been left on, and all other appliance plugs removed, so it seems not to do with guests bringing adapter plugs. Thanks - Julie

Some months after the Chauffe eau had been installed, standing on it's tripod, on a new concrete floor, we returned to the house and the power tripped out which I found was due to large rust particles having formed in the cylindrical steel sleeve up which you slide the bare heating element assembly.
To remove the rust I taped a scotchbrite green scourer to a length of inch square wood and poked it up the hole.
The element insulators were also brushed clean.
Touch wood, not had any trouble since.
I think the moisture rising from the new floor was constantly condensing on the cold steel which was staying very cold due to the water in the tank which was not drained down for the winter.

Good luck

franc.

Archived