Complete France Forum

Bees causing fire risk?

Jackie

LAST EDITED ON 30-Jul-04 AT 10:16 AM (BST)

We have an insert wood burning stove fitted at the base of the chimney and a liner tube that goes right the way to the top. Every year during the Spring and Summer we get a swarm of bees nesting between the liner and the chimney walls. There must be a small gap between the top of the liner and the surrounding chimney or in the stack itself. Large numbers of bees make their way down to the insert and expire there in a large heap, they cannot get into the living room with the vents closed on the insert. My concern is that they may be building up debris, honeycomb, wax, whatever in the gap between the liner and the chimney. They all disappear when the first fire of winter is lit and the swarm usually reappear in the grenier having come through some small unseen holes in the brickwork, that is in itself a bit worring, but am I right to be concerned that the liner tube could get so hot as to ignite the bees nest? I had thought of digging out some bricks/stones in the grenier to insert a mirror and torch into the chimney to see what is there but maybe someone could suggest another approach. I of course realise that it would be a good idea to reseal the liner tube at the top. I don't want to involve us in too much expense at the moment as we will replace the whole lot within a couple of years anyway...........John in Dept 79

Hi John,

Sorry you are having problems with the bees, it must be worrying. The fire brigade will attend to get rid of swarms of bees, hornets and wasps and there is a charge, but what you have is a thriving colony. As a beekeeper I can tell you that bees will return to places where they have nested or swarmed to year after year. Traces of chemicals left behind I suppose. I would check with your insurers as well as the pompiers regarding the fire risk. You never know the insurers may pay for the removal, doubtful? Worth a try.....

You say they disappear with the first fire, I expect they would only rellocate up to the grenier, all colonies of bees reduce in size in winter, and some elected bees overwinter to start building a new colony the following spring. If you do not want to kill them all, and I suspect you will not anyway, then contact a local beekeeper for his suggestions. Look outside for their exit point as they must be foraging for nectar outside to build their nest, a beekeeper may be able follow this entry point into your grenier to remove a small colony with the queen which would make the others follow. There is a UK saying, 'A swarm in July is not worth a fly', and in France this would be even earlier, so a beekeeper would not want a swarm now as it would not be at its best.

It is important you look for their way in as as it may be far from the nest and this will also be attractive to future bees and needs cleaning/replacing/spraying with bleach/repainting, anything like this will help but they may still be attracted, and you can of course you can block it as well.

If the nest is more than a metre from the fire it is unlikely it would ignite but it will melt and smell. When you eventually do the replacement work try and do it in the winter when the swarm will be at its smallest, but would still be aggressive if disturbed. I would try removal and reduction this winter and blocking the exit so that they would die anyway.

Get in touch if you can give me any more specific details so I might be able to help you more.

Washy (11)

Archived