Complete France Forum

"Rogue Builder" posting

Will

Originally posted by feichter
28-Jul-04, 09:46 PM (BST)

"Rogue builder"
Has anyone had experience with any building companies based in Montbron? My friend is having a nightmare with one.

-------------------------------------------------

Message edited and re-posted, under 'naming and shaming' rules. Please see Forum Code of Conduct.

If anybody wants more details, please contact feichter by e-mail or private message.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

"Their" website doesn't work but "they" are listed as "Activits d'architecture", have been going since 1982 are an SARL with 30.000 paid-up capital etc etc.

Don't sound like fly-by-nights....

Has your friend tried talking to them?

You see, I know who "they" are, because I saw the posting before Bill got to it. But I ain't gonna tell........

Nick
http://www.aplaceinfrance.com

Here is some background to my original posting.

My friend wanted a small conversion. Moving a bathroom from downstairs to upstairs, paritioning the upstairs to create two bedrooms, putting two windows in, installing a new fosse septique, adding a utilities room and combining two bedrooms downstairs to create a large living room.

The builder in question produced a very detailed quote of 37.000. This seemed already a bit high, but having been assured of a good quality finish, it was agreed to go ahead. The project should have taken around 6 weeks and should have been finished for Easter. Needless to say the project was not completed on time, in fact, it was so far behind that he and his family had to stay at my place. The toiled was not installed and there was no running water.

Being concerned about the quality of work my friend spoke to the builder, who again assured him everything would turn out alright. The costs for the project have also kept increasing. My friend has so far paid 54.000!!!. The brief of the project is still the same as it was back in February when the original quote was produced.

The builder now wants a final payment of 3.000 to complete the work and has changed the locks on my friends place!!! He has deposited the keys at the local police station for safe-keeping. He keeps sending registed letters asking for payment.

Does this seem reasonable to anyone? What should he do now? Any help I could pass on would be most appreciated.

P.S. Could nicktrollope let me know how he found info on the said builder.

Archived