Complete France Forum

+ve's and -ve's of underfloor heating?

Floodfamilyagain

Hello , we are having a new 4 bedroom bungalow built and are in the process of discussing our heating requirements. Electric underfloor heating has been sugested either complete or just in the main area of the house (excluding the bedrooms and bathroom )I know at one time there was quite a bit on the forum about this but I can no longer find it. Has anyone experience of underfloor heating as a sole source /part source of heating? How do you find it? Is it economcal? Any positive or negatvie feedback appreciated.thanks

Natalie

It may be controversial, but I would be deterred from installing electric underfloor heating after I read an article in New Scientist that highlighted the matter of E.M.F.   An electro-magnetic field is generated by the electricity cables which can apparently be unhealthy.  It is something akin to the E.M.F. that is generated around electricity pylons etc.  If you do a search on google you may find it or something similar.

electric underfloor heating will cost you an absolute fortune to run in a large area. Ideally it would be for a conservatory or bathroom and even then you sometimes find you need further heating.

We have water fed underfloor heating, this is just pipework laid under the floor in which hot water is fed in a loop. it's cheaper to run as can be linked upto your gas/oil/electric or in our case solar and electric. Ours comfortably heats a 90m2 house. the negatives are that ideally you should have tiled or wooden floors and not carpets

Archived