Complete France Forum

Temporary accomodation in France

Ian

Folks, my better-half and I are planning to sell our house and move to France. For a variety of reasons, it won't be till next year. However, I can see a problem with the move, so I'm hoping someone can help.

It's all to do with temporary accomodation in France.

The plan is to sell up here in spring, move to France in the autumn and start looking for a property to buy. We're thinking of the areas round Limousin (she says it's too high and cold) like Poitou-Charente, maybe Indre or Dordogne. This will mean renting someplace to live initially, which is where the problem may occur.......

I don't want to bring much over in the way of furniture etc, till we have a home to put it in, so we'll need furnished accomodation. I'm assuming this shouldn't be a problem in September/October - the holiday season will be over, so there should be a supply of gites or similar for us. (Is this correct, or is this my first big mistake?) Assuming we find someplace to live in over winter, I can see the BIG problem coming in spring.

Firstly, from what I know of the French house-buying system, I think we'll be lucky to have taken possession of a property by then. Secondly, we're looking for a house that will probably need a lot of work to get it the way we want it, and while I'm capable of doing almsot all renovation work, I'd want/need any serious work (roofing, major electrical/plumbing, etc) done before we move in. (OK, I'm getting soft, but I'm used to lights, plumbing and things like that!). Again, from what I know of French tradesmen, good one have a long backlog, and we'd just be joining the back of the queue ("I might be able to start in September, monsieur. Which year? Ah....")

So, when spring comes merrily along, and the previously friendly gite-owner wants to evict us so he/she can start renting it to summer visitors, what do we do? Our house may be habitable, but assuming it isn't where do we live till it is?

All ideas or suggestions (that get past the moderator) will be gratefully received (even if they tell me I'm being stupid)

You are correct in some points. Finding furnished accommodation from Autumn - June ish will not be hard.  (plug, look further south as well !).

BUT

*Why sell before you move ? At a guess you could rent your existing house out. Leading to:

1) Moving back temporarily while the 'catch of your dreams' is going through legals etc.

2) Moving back permanently once you experience a French winter and find yourself reduced to seeking solace from mates on a computer forum (mild joke but not too far removed from some people's reality).

*Don't presume too much about the ease of doing leccy and plumbing as a DIY exercise. True there are a lot of friendly experts on this forum who will help you out, but there will also be qualified local artisans - if you have the language and gumption to actively project manage. That latter point might mean you moving in to a part ready shell in Spring - back to the original timescale !

Good luck.

I'd agree with Owens' suggestions but would add that there's a middle ground between buying a total wreck (as many people do) and buying a finished project. If you buy the sort of property that needs new kitchen/new bathroom/heating/decoration/rewiring etc. you could perfectly well live in it while doing the work. You'd benefit from the financial uplift of doing up a property but still have a roof over your head.

I know it's obvious (you said you didn't mind having the obvious pointed out) but it's your choice what you buy. If you need the type of property you can live in whilst doing work, then that's the sort of property you should buy.

Good luck

I agree with both Kathy and Owens points here. There is a middle ground that is a much easier option. I took this option, despite being a tradesman myself. I chose a house that had the mains connections, new roof and electrics already completed. My reasons were different to yours in as much as I still live in the Uk and wanted for a holiday home. This meant I did not have the time available to renovate a big project. The principal is still the same though. It meant I could spend six weeks there, living in the house while I did the new bathrooms, decorating etc.

You need to also remember that renovating costs are as, if not more, expensive than in the UK so it doesn't always follow that a total wreck will be the best option by the time you add accommodation costs etc.

There is a good chance you will get a short term let from September to May but there is not as much accommodation in the far south as, say, Britanny.

Remember the golden rules do lot's of homework, don't sign the purchase agreement without getting the house professionally checked (especially if it's very run down) and then work your timescales etc. out.

As members on here will tell you, getting it wrong can be very costly.

Good luck.

John, KathyC and Smiley, thank you for your helpful comments.

I'm not setting out with the idea of buying a roofless wreck that was only ever a farmbuilding. I'm hoping we'll find a place that we can live in and do up as we go along, as you suggest. However, if we do consider taking the "Grand Designs" route (and my wife will take some persuading, I can tell you!), it would only be feasible if we could find local temporary accommodation, as such a project would have to be hands-on, whoever was doing the work. Hence my concern about temporary accommodation............

Owens88, I hear what you say about giving up after a winter, and it is a factor we'ver considered. In case you're right, we're keeping a small flat here in the UK - in theory only for occasional holidays, rented out the rest of the time, but if France proves unworkable.....

Thanks again

hi  and ok

this may or may not be what you want but here goes ..

we will shortly have a one up one down gite ready for longish term rent in 79 the second sunniest place in france and loads of room for storage ,as we have other income`s we could do you a very good deal for a long term rent , the rooms are not not your run of the mill rough french " crap " but en suit  bedroom with rad . a poele in the kitchen / lounge uk tv and we have loads of info on referbs have a look here

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/

dave and olive

Dave and Olive, thank you very much for the offer. It fits our requirements almost perfectly, and I'd have accepted it in a flash, but for one thing - we won't be in a position to move to France till this time next year, and I'd imagine you'll want to start renting the gite out before then.

Can I ask one thing of you, though? We'll be in Deux-Sevres at the end of October for a week or so - maybe we could call by and see the property (in case it becomes available next year)? If you could spare any time then, as well, I'd also happily take any advice you can offer. From what I've read of your postings in the "House Renovations" forum, plus what I can see from your photographs, you've a lot of experience in this area. (Not that I'm planning such a large renovation....)

Thanks

Ian

Archived