Complete France Forum

112% increase in Rates

Rtony

Another Taxe Foncieres query.

We had some renovations carried out last year ie. Leaking roof & damp floors replaced, and the grenier over the garage re floored with a new window fitted, for use as a bedroom. We believe that the result of this is a 112% rise in the Taxe Foncieres, and maybe in the Taxe d'Habitation as well.

Is this normal. The house is still the same size and not that much has changed?

Also, should we have been notified that there would be an increase and the reasons why?

Tony

If you have increased living space then you will pay more rates here especially on changing the garage roof into another bedroom. As for a 112% rise, seems a bit steep considering we only pushed through a 2,5% increase on our communes charges for this year. As you are certainly upset I would make a visit to the local Hôtel des Impôts and get them to re-assess your property as it may have been estimated and also they will want to know if you are living here full time which does have some bearing on rates especially if you have dependents. You will also find now that rubbish collection charges have been included in your bills whereas previously they were sent seperately.

Val - can you help me here?

Since buying and beginning work on our house we have generally made it more habitable, but we are now in the position that we have added bathrooms and and will soon add an extra room. I understand that this will mean that we will be liable for extra taxes - how do I declare the improvements, and to whom?

Dear Val

While you are on with the last question, what is the situation for us where we have actually removed rooms from our property we are now down to 5 bedrooms from 10 by the judicious removal of walls, floors etc. are we able to qualify for a reduced rate of fonciere and habitation or will it be the same as previously as the floor area has not changed, apart from one room which is now partly double height.

Similarly, we have two houses on the property, we only live in one and the other is not used at all, are we liable for a reduction 50% in the tax habitation because we are only actually occupying half of our property?

If you want to know the answer, ask your local (!) councillor

Thanks

Graham

[quote]Val - can you help me here?Since buying and beginning work on our house we have generally made it more habitable, but we are now in the position that we have added bathrooms and and will soon add an e...[/quote]

Dick, are you adding an extra room onto the existing building or creating from within? If the first, then depending on size and needs you will have to get permission either just a Déclaration de Travaux (limit 20m²) or the fully Pde Construire. Usually the paperwork from these find their way to the local Hôtel des Impôts who will after a while write to you and ask you to declare if the work is complete so they can upgrade your taxes. Whenever you do any work needing permission here, the authorities will be informed and contact you direct. We started to re-build our barn a long time ago and every year for three years they wrote asking when it would be finished and I had to go in person to explain there would be a long delay due to other commitments etc and this satisfied them. Rates here are calculated very much like the old days in the UK on habitable space (although Dad used to say if you had a tiled bathroom wall you got charged for it!!) You could plead ignorance and just keep stum but if you have increased your property insurance to cover this extra space that too could drop you in it and it isn't worth the aggro arguing over what they think you should pay in back taxes if it comes to it. Regarding the added bathrooms and indeed, any one thing else added on to the original layout of the house but not altering the construction you are also liable to an increase to take into account these items. Full time residents often get a reduction as things like children and income are taken into account as well as whether you are a pensioner or not. As I always say to people in doubt, go and have a friendly word with your local maire who you may find will be quite helpful in these matters because it is part of the economy of the commune and you may even be paying too much already. We had our taxe d'habitation slashed by 50% when a lotissement was built on our border and it didn't bother us,well worth the reduction.

[quote]Dear Val While you are on with the last question, what is the situation for us where we have actually removed rooms from our property we are now down to 5 bedrooms from 10 by the judicious removal of...[/quote]

Graham. If I were in your shoes I would ask for an inspector to call from the impôts and re-value your property. You havn't actually lost space but you have reduced the number of usable rooms so that may count,but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm not an expert at the actual valuations of taxes,I just get involved with increasing them each year in the commune. In the case of the second house which is not inhabited you only should be paying foncières on this and not d'habitation if it is not habitable at all. You must visit the mairie and get them to inspect and confirm that it is not habitable to get dispensation from paying any d'habitation but if it is habitable then you are liable for that one as well. We have a current client who has just done this as the second complete house is in a bad state and they are exempt from d'habitation. If you have problems getting this sorted, your local Trésor Public may also be able to send someone out. Your taxes foncieres is the commune taxe and nothing to do with your home so that will not be reduced in any circumstances. sorry I can't be more exact.

[quote]Val - can you help me here?Since buying and beginning work on our house we have generally made it more habitable, but we are now in the position that we have added bathrooms and and will soon add an e...[/quote]

Dick, are you adding an extra room onto the existing building or creating from within? If the first, then depending on size and needs you will have to get permission either just a Déclaration de Travaux (limit 20m²) or the fully Pde Construire. Usually the paperwork from these find their way to the local Hôtel des Impôts who will after a while write to you and ask you to declare if the work is complete so they can upgrade your taxes. Whenever you do any work needing permission here, the authorities will be informed and contact you direct. We started to re-build our barn a long time ago and every year for three years they wrote asking when it would be finished and I had to go in person to explain there would be a long delay due to other commitments etc and this satisfied them. Rates here are calculated very much like the old days in the UK on habitable space (although Dad used to say if you had a tiled bathroom wall you got charged for it!!) You could plead ignorance and just keep stum but if you have increased your property insurance to cover this extra space that too could drop you in it and it isn't worth the aggro arguing over what they think you should pay in back taxes if it comes to it. Regarding the added bathrooms and indeed, any one thing else added on to the original layout of the house but not altering the construction you are also liable to an increase to take into account these items. Full time residents often get a reduction as things like children and income are taken into account as well as whether you are a pensioner or not. As I always say to people in doubt, go and have a friendly word with your local maire who you may find will be quite helpful in these matters because it is part of the economy of the commune and you may even be paying too much already. We had our taxe d'habitation slashed by 50% when a lotissement was built on our border and it didn't bother us,well worth the reduction.

Quoting a % is very emotive and guaranteed to gain sympathy - going from €15 to €32 is one thing but €1000 to €2120 is quite another yet both are increases of around 112%.

But I agree that anything hurts.

John

BTW question for Val_2 - how long can I drag out the renovations  before tha taxman becomes suspicious ?

Val - thanks for your answer - we are creating an extra room within the existing space - I've discussed it with the maire and he reckons we don't need any permissions, apart from a window, and he was incredulous that I wanted a declaration de travaux for that (the builder doesn't want to go ahead without written permission). It's mainly for insurance and tax purposes - I don't want to end up with back charges at some later date.

Archived