Complete France Forum

How to? Shower on concrete floor?

Wibblywobbly

I am pondering the best solution to this problem.

I have one of those whizzy pre-built showers, where all of the back panels etc slot together and all of the taps are pre-installed.

The fosse has been installed and the waste has been brought under the ground floor wall, and up into what will be the ground floor bathroom.

I now need to install and connect the shower, loo and sink.

I am trying to figure out how on earth I connect the shower drainage to the waste as although the loo and sink will obviously have plenty of space for a downhill run to the waste pipe, the shower drain starts at ground level. Do I need to raise the shower on a concrete plinth?

How do I connect the shower drain?? Is this possible or not? The bathroom floor is tiled, but even if I cut a channel in the floor and re-tile, how do then connect the shower drain to the waste as the pipework will require connecting below floor level.

If there are any plumbers in the Chateaubriant area who want to quote me for the installation, then be my guest!

Cheers

Rob G

My previous experience of fitting a shower was onto floorboards where of course there was plenty of space beneath the boards to run pipes. With concrete floors it makes sense that you will have to raise the base to enable the pies to flow to the waste. Make sure the base is balance correctly so tha the plug hole is at the lowest point!

[quote]My previous experience of fitting a shower was onto floorboards where of course there was plenty of space beneath the boards to run pipes. With concrete floors it makes sense that you will have to rai...[/quote]

Of course I should have said "pipes" as you certainly don't want "pies" in your shower!!

I had a similar problem regarding getting the waste pipe across the floor. In addition to raisng the shower slightly to get the fall, I also put in a stud wall about six inches in front of the real one. This gave me the space behind to run the water, waste and radiator pipework. My wall went all the way up. You may get away with a half wall, or even simply boxing in the waste piep along the wall.

We had a similar problem and raised the shower tray about 10 cm using blocks around the edges. If you leave a gap on one edge then you can access the drain for making connections and make good when you are sure everything is watertight. The drain was routed along the adjacent wall and boxed in.

Archived