Complete France Forum

Woodburning stoves - suppliers/installers (24/46)

Padzy

Can anyone recommend suppliers of decent quality woodburners in the South Dordogne or North Lot please?

Do suppliers usually offer an installation service too or is a builder a better bet? (The fireplace currently has no register plate). Any rough guide on cost possible?

Recommendations of makes of stove would also be welcome - we are thinking of a stove purely to heat a room, i.e. no boiler or radiators.

Many thanks for your advice, Chris.

Hi

I've just had an excellent service from M Costes in Catena at Bretenoux (46). I've bought a Jotul F600 matt black finish for 1824€ and he delivered and fitted for 130€, plus pipes and VAT; it all came to 2345€... Not cheap I know, but I figure these people in Norway know what they're doing as far as stoves are concerned! The stove is 14kw and works on double combustion, therefore burning wood more efficiently and as it's all cast iron, it retains heat overnight: just open the vent and stick another log in the morning!

M Costes was extremely pleasant and helpful and after comparing his quote to Bricorama in Aurillac for delivering and installing the same stove, he was also very competitive.

I recommended him to a friend who also chose a Jotul F600, but with an enamel blue finish, therefore more costly. M Costes arranged the fitting of a metal plate inside the chimney. The total cost came to around 3000€. When my friend appeared to have a problem with the stove, M Costes came round the following morning and sorted everything out very quickly. I cannot fault the man and his approach to customers...

Highly recommended from personal experience.

Please, please be careful if you are thinking of fitting a woodburner into an existing old chimney.  We bought a recently renovated house in 31 with all new wiring, plumbing, roof etc and a lovely brand new woodburner in the kitchen fitted into the existing chimney.  It was March this year when we moved here - woodburner but no central heating - so we lit it up (the chimney had been swept) and it worked beautifully.  Five nights later, having cleaned and relit the fire several times, we awoke to a room filled with smoke and the chimney itself was on fire.  It turned out the metal flue inside the chimney had been inadequately insulated and the chimney itself not cleaned out before the flue was installed so all the maize husks, straw and goodness knows what had started to burn.  We had all the documents relating to the installation and it was allegedly done by a professional installer not a "builder".  Apparently, this is quite a common problem.  The first thing the pompiers said when they arrived was that it had not been installed properly!  Just be careful, whatever you do.  You can never be too sure about these things.  It was only our dogs moving around that woke us up or we'd have been gonners!  Still, the insurers have paid for a nice new woodburning Rayburn in its place, the kitchen to be replastered, the old chimney has been well and truly demolished and I have lovely oilfired central heating!!!!

Good luck in your search!  We do know of a supplier/installer of woodburners but they are in 32 which is probably no good for you.

We have had three nights of sheer bliss with our newly installed Villager A Flat (multi-fuel) which has 3 hot plates. Just using logs, I cooked the potatoes, stewed the blackberry and apples and boiled the kettle - all at the same time! I love it already and wouldn't swop it for anything, not even a Raeburn. It is very good looking too!

We are having a wood burning stove installed in France by the suppliers and we have asked our builder to install the flue with diameter of 150 mm. He seems reluctant to do this and has quoted for 125 mm with a reduction cone. On querying this, we have been told by our trusted interpreters that this is to comply with French-whatevers! Has anyone else experienced a problem with having a 150 mm flue?

[quote]We are having a wood burning stove installed in France by the suppliers and we have asked our builder to install the flue with diameter of 150 mm. He seems reluctant to do this and has quoted for 125...[/quote]

If your having a boiler fitted by your suppliers they should know the size of the flue.Under no circumstances do a flue  get reduced on the spigot.especially on multifuel boilers preferablly you go up a size you will get away with 125mm but 150mm or larger is better  and the first metre really needs to be vitrous enamel or twin wall. happy plumbing ,or in you case flueing.Your builder has prob checked your chimney and it simpler to drop a 125mm down.

Archived