Complete France Forum

I have got water......

dandaz

Hi

Been over taking my roof off and the next door french bod was quizing me about the dissused well [30 years],they have a smimming pool and have the right to take water[wink wink]...So I tied a toe rope on the car and pulled all the tree`s and stuff off it,threw a bucket down it and pulled up lovely water....

So next day I made a lovely wooden cover and fitted a pully and nice galvanized bucket,the only thing is I cant get the ****** to sink unless a place a brick into it and drop it the last ten feet then it plunges under...

Jack and jill made it look easy.....

Got the thirty year old pump home to play with...

Would love to know how to sink the bucket...?

Mick

I am assuming here that you have the rope tied to the centre of the handle of the bucket.

If my memory serves me correctly, one should position the rope to one side of the handle somewhere between the handle mid point and the point at which the handle meets the bucket. In this way, when you lower the bucket into the well, part of the side of the bucket actually makes contact with the water and from thereon in gravity takes over.  

[quote]Hi Been over taking my roof off and the next door french bod was quizing me about the dissused well [30 years],they have a smimming pool and have the right to take water[wink wink]...So I tied a t...[/quote]

Dear me.you fit the first foot or so with a chain which tips the bucket over.my sister gretel fills the bucket evey time.

Hi

You may not believe this, but ............

Same problem getting water into a bucket from a boat. Chandlers sell buckets with a swivelling bottom. It acts like a simple valve : opens under its own weight, closes when lifted.

Peter

Hello Mick -

where are you? We need a man with a digger!!

Can't help much with the well except to say, don't use those silly rubber builders' buckets 'cos the handles undo and you lose the whole lot!!

And surely it will take a long time to fill up your neighbours pool - get a pump!

regards......helen

PS Dick .....that photo is really, really scarey!

Archived