Complete France Forum

Gas Installation

Paulal

Thought I would just give a final update on this,

Gas tank was connected to the house by my husband in November, inspected by Qualigaz and passed the inspection.  Papers signed.

Gas connections inside the house have been inspected by Butagaz inspector this week and these have also passed.

Very nice person from Butagaz rang me to advise not to buy gas at this time of year as it is expensive (supply and demand situation, plus price of oil being quite high), she suggested buying in March or April when it will be cheaper.  All she needs is an email nearer the time we will be visiting and she will sort out a delivery.

So, for those worried about installing their own system, as long as you are corgi registered and use french fittings it will be fine, take heart, not all French companies want us to fail in our attempts to improve our properties ourselves.

Paula

As you rightly say, if you know what you are doing then OK but there are an awful lot of bodgers out there who havn't a clue except for a few diagrams in a book and those are the ones who are likely to do dangerous work and put lives in danger. The same goes for electrics and never forget those brit "plumbers" who killed that teenager and gassed his family in the SW a few years ago because they had no idea what they were trying to install.

You don't have to be Corgi registered you just need to follow the French code of practice which from the little I know about the UK code is completely different. As I understand it in France we have two vents, one to aid gas dilution in the event of a leak whereas in the UK one vent is the norm. to allow gas to build up making the leak more apparant - this is a tricky subject as the gas concentration only needs to be very low to create an explosive mix. There are lots of other differences and if you want to do it yourself I would recommend the PGP/PGN course which is free (or almost) and organised by your Chambres De Metiers, although this is not compulsory as anyone can ask Qualigaz to inspect a DIY installation.

Archived