Complete France Forum

Smelly drains

Suninfrance

Why is it our drains are perfectly "sweet" until we shower in the morning.  For the next couple of hours we get this dreadful smell of sewage coming up through the plughole and just outside the back door where the waste connects upto the fosse pipework.  It usually goes away after a while, but it remains a mystery.

We are careful about using fosse friendly cleaners and use the tablets once a month to keep the fosse bacteria happy.

Any ideas?

Please no "odourous jokes" only serious responses.

Jan

If it's coming from your plughole, you must have broken the water seal, ie: there can't be any water in the trap. This could be caused by a leak, but is more likely to be because your WC, or something empties into the same pipe as the shower drain, and basically "sucks" the water out of the trap. Try refilling the trap after you've flushed etc.

Could also be a leaky shower tray, and when used, it's re-wetting the "leaked into" areas, so it smells? My bro in law had this in the UK. We removed the tray, and it was shot, gone all soft, so we replaced it and re-sealed it: no more smell.

Where does the smell come from outside? We had similar, and it turned out to be one of the silicone seals on the cement lid to the grease trap, had come out. It normally blocks the little holes you can use to insert a tool to pull up the lid, and was allowing smells to come out when the water was agitated.

Cured it by replacing the seal.

Alcazar

Thanks Alcazar.

We've done the refilling the trap one.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  So I reckon it's probably the leak scenario.  Not looking forward to taking the shower tray out - plumbing is not one of our favourite tasks.

Guess I'll have to wait until the new year when the bathroom upstairs is ready, then we can completely de-commission the one downstairs which is in a corner of what will eventually be a living room.  At the moment I put a soap dish over the plughole after showering to stop the smell permeating through the rest of the house, unfortunately it creeps under the back door from the outside when the wind is in the wrong direction.

Don't you just love house renovations

Jan

Archived