Complete France Forum

Building a wood store

Chrissie

We're toying with the idea of building a proper wood storage area in the garden (wood as in fuel for the fire).  Up till now we've just stacked it under rigid corrugated sheeting, but this isn't very satisfactory.  The ground in the only suitable area not too far from the house is very wet in winter (rain coming off mountains) and we've found that stacking the wood onto pallets doesn't last long as the pallets rot and collapse with the weight of the logs, so the whole lot ends up sitting on the ground and gets damp rising up through it.

Has anyone got words of wisdom to pass on before we go out looking for a prefab structure of some sort.  Would concrete paving slabs, with or without tarpaulin lining, be a suitable base or do we have to biuld something more permanent.   I guess I'll also have to check with the Mairie to see if planing permission required.....

All info gratefully accepted

Chrissie

(81)

Be creative Chrissie! If you've got to look at it all the time, what would you rather see, concrete slabs and pre fab covering or something you designed and created yourself? Think along the lines of Oak posts with a raised 'decked' type of  base, perhaps with a couple of levels which would allow you to rotate the firewood efficiently and increase drying efficiency. Maybe a shingled roof extended almost to the ground where you could store kindling or garden tools, bore some large holes in the Oak posts and pack them with bird feed and sit and wait with your camera to capture a passing woodpecker.....carve the poles into totem or tiki subjects, anything goes Chrissie!

Chris

I built one, 'borrowing' the design from a handsome looking roof over a local lavoir. Basically 6 oak uprights on concrete bases with a tiled roof. I just put in a gravel floor and hardly any protection on the sides apart from the south-west as it is important to get air circulating. It worked well.

ian

Be creative Chrissie! If you've got to look at it all the time, what would you rather see, concrete slabs and pre fab covering or something you designed and created yourself? Think along the lines of Oak posts with a raised 'decked' type of  base, perhaps with a couple of levels which would allow you to rotate the firewood efficiently and increase drying efficiency. Maybe a shingled roof extended almost to the ground where you could store kindling or garden tools, bore some large holes in the Oak posts and pack them with bird feed and sit and wait with your camera to capture a passing woodpecker.....carve the poles into totem or tiki subjects, anything goes Chrissie!

Great idea Mr Ground Force! Also, when you sell you can advertise it as having gite potential!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote]Be creative Chrissie! If you've got to look at it all the time, what would you rather see, concrete slabs and pre fab covering or something you designed and created yourself? Think along the lines of ...[/quote]

Wow - if I could build something like that A) I would live in it and B) I wouldn't be asking this forum for simple ideas!   Don't suppose you've got a few days to spare to help out????.....

I like Ian's idea of gravel though...

Chrissie

You don't know you can't until you try Chrissie! Wish I did have time to spare, Junes my next free time! In fact I'm considering running training courses to show the techniques and tools used to create structures such as the one you suggest and the fire surround Dave mentioned, if we can get our heads around the liability stuff!

Chris

Archived