Complete France Forum

Oak Staircase

Aitch

We are thinking of a new staircase and are uncertain as to what to go for. We have had a look at the Lapeyre/ GME for their stlyes. Lapeyre will supply and fit but will not cut the access hole into the ceiling.We have been wondering, does anybody have an idea of what price range I would be looking at for an 'Oak 1/4 turn Staircase, rising, floor to ceiling 8-9 ft?' I have a carpenter who has done previous excellent work for us and is capable of making the staircase, but as he is very busy at the moment, I would rather have some 'monetary ammunition' before I approach him. Any guidance much appreciated.

Aitch

Difficult to give a 'proper' guide price, but the last staircase I made for our place cost me a little over 200 euros for the oak, in planks, which I machined to suit.  It was, however, a cut string style, with turned spindles and detailing on the cut string brackets and special newels, which obviously added to the complexity.  It took me a week (ish) to manufacture, including turning the spindles, so as a costed project would be in the region of 800-900 euros. Plus fitting, of course.

Hope this helps.

"We are thinking of a new staircase and are uncertain as to what to go for. We have had a look at the Lapeyre/ GME for their stlyes. Lapeyre will supply and fit but will not cut the access hole into the ceiling.We have been wondering, does anybody have an idea of what price range I would be looking at for an 'Oak 1/4 turn Staircase, rising, floor to ceiling 8-9 ft?' I have a carpenter who has done previous excellent work for us and is capable of making the staircase, but as he is very busy at the moment, I would rather have some 'monetary ammunition' before I approach him. Any guidance much appreciated."

Lapeyre will quote you around 1500/1700 Euros for an oak staircase in the style that you want.

Far better to find a local menuisier (joiner not carpenter) to build it for you exactly as you require.

Ask at your local Mairie for registered menuisiers.

"Difficult to give a 'proper' guide price, but the last staircase I made for our place cost me a little over 200 euros for the oak, in planks, which I machined to suit. It was, however, a cut string style, with turned spindles and detailing on the cut string brackets and special newels, which obviously added to the complexity. It took me a week (ish) to manufacture, including turning the spindles, so as a costed project would be in the region of 800-900 euros. Plus fitting, of course."

If you can carry out your own work on staircases, etc, then that’s a big costsaver.

To produce the components yourself you would need a table saw, table router/spindle moulder - plus a lathe if you are producing turned spindles.

After installation you then have to factor in the costs of finishing the woodwork.

Perhaps look at projects as a commercial proposition, allowing for taxes, social charges, etc.

"Costs would depend on complexity of project, quality of material, finish required, joinery methods used and as Brian points out, the fitting. I'd be budgeting for 1000 to 1300 euros excluding fitting."

Probably much closer for material costs.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Thanks for the replies and info. Probably go down the Lapeyre track. I think our carpenter would be at least twice if not three times as much for a made to measure staircase. I don't know if I can justify that sort of price range even if it is a one off!

Regards,

Aitch 

We are about 20K from Le Blanc (36). The carpenter who has fitted our kitchen and made new shutters is in Argenton and although we have mentioned the idea of a staircase to him in the past, we haven't asked him for a definitive quote as of yet. We hope to be out at the property towards the end of Feb/ Beginning March but judging by the sharp intake of breath when we mooted the subject, I'm inclined to think that we will aslo visit Lapeyre and get their ideas/ prices. Basically, I do not feel confident about cutting and framing the hole to accept the staircase otherwise I would consider having a go at it myself. I know Lapeyre will supply and fit and we don't dislike some of their styles. C'est la vie!

Aitch

We have had some bespoke doors made which are seriously expensive (I think) but necessary due to the unusual size of the doorways.  However, we also asked for a price to make an oak staircase with a quarter turn - fairly standard as it is a standard size space to be filled.  The price came back at 4000euros.  From what I can see it would be pretty much the same as a shop-bought oak one.  Lapeyre quote 1500euros or similar for theirs. The only difference being that the artisans would fit it.  It pays to shop around!

Fran

We recently had two quotes from local local carpenters for building from scratch 13 stairs with risers, hand rails, spindles, quarter-turn at lower end and fancy newel post and D-shaped first stair.  One quoted Euros 1800 in oak, the other quoted Euros 1550 in exotic wood.  Both would build in their workshop and install partly assembled.

In addition, you may want to add about Euros 300 to make opening and supply and fit new floor joists and beading during the process.

Staircases are personal choices, so be very clear on what you want and maybe draw a sketch or cut out photos.

Ali

Archived