Complete France Forum

French vs English masonry paint?

Alcazar

Does anyone have a definitive amswer as to whetherr there is any difference in the two paints in the title? I've used search, but can't find an answer to that question.

I think we already decided to use good quality stuff, but it seems an incredible price in France, it cost us over £25 to paint our new concrete barbecue!

If UK paint, I'd use Dulux Weathershild, or Sandtex.

TIA

Alcazar

For outside use I always buy the products here. The reason being that we get incredibly hot summers and have had incredibly cold winters and I would hope that good local products were made to cope with this. All paint is expensive here. I paid around £30 (not euros) a 2.5 litre pot for emulsion for our lounge. If we had been going back to the UK around then, that is something I may have considered bringing back. But exterior stuff I wouldn't want to risk.

ps Dulux Valentine do an exterior paint called Barth something or other, available in all the big brico store.

Sorry Teamedup but we are having ours brought over (Weathershield) as friends painted their house with it a couple of years back (before the canicule) and it still looks as good as when it was first painted. The deciding factor was cost - just couldn't afford a good quality French exterior paint in the quantity we need. Hopefully, it will stand the test of time (and heat).

I would always use French paint for all exterior wood and metal work though. Friends used UK paint and it bubbled before they had finished.

regards........helen

If you use UK masonry paints on old properties you could end up with no end of grief. A colleague of mine had to have his stone cottage in the UK sandblasted as the paint caused the walls to run with moisture inside as the walls could not breath (similar walls to old French houses). The job had been done before he bought the property and the damage was considerable. As TU said, their is a reason the French paints are different.

I agree, if it's (cement) rendered/covered with plasticiser both sides there will probably be problems. Ours are not!

regards..........helen

For those that are interested the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings run one day courses all over the UK covering aspects of traditional renovation projects such as using lime/lime washes. You could also have a look on the www.mikewye.co.uk (I think) website. I'm sure they would also frown on us for using weathershield but blinding white crepi (they wouldn't approve of that either) just ain't pretty!

Archived