Complete France Forum

Emulsion for woodworK?

La vieille

The French seem to use emulsion for their woodwork unlike the Brits who prefer gloss.   Is it emulsion or is it something special?   Since we shall some day wish to sell our house it seems sensible to do it the French way, so is it basic emulsion they use?

Thanks

Pat

They use a lot of flat paint which can be either oil or emulsion based.

u.k. technology for emulsion based primers is better'if you use emulsion direct to wood instead of using oil based primer 2 problems found.

1.water  raises wood grain and stains appear into top coat as leaching of any water soluble tannins.

2.emulsion may have insufficient fungicide and you can get mould growth especially in humid areas.

english largest users for gloss  and advantages include easier to wipe clean and no staining  plus does not support fungus growth which needs cellulose derivatives such as are used in emulsion to make them thicker.

I haven't noticed people using matt paint, but it is true lots of satin rather than gloss is used around here. It would be hard to know if it were oil or water based though. A friend of mine in England likes it on wood that isn't in very good condition ie lots of wear, keeps the character but doesn't show the faults up so much. She likes doing places up, unlike me.

For me, the lack of matching paints that gets me. And I have used satin water based emulsion when I couldn't get the colour I wanted, just so I knew it would go. And I have little faith in matching paint here. Mr Brico's paint last time I used it did not have the same colour paint in the pot as on the lid of the tin, what did Madame expect, the colour on the tin is just an indication, that it was way out, well, tant pis! It was french paint, by a french company and should be good enough for Madame.

Archived