Complete France Forum

Is Green Energy a posibility given the electricity costs?

Brian

Please post more information covering the load that you need to supply. As far as solar photovoltaic cells are concerned:

In the high sun areas, figure about 1kW per square meter for
about 6 hours per day. Max collector efficiency is roughly 25%,

You'll need to spend a reasonable investment on this sort of technology to get enough power to drive a Modern house. If you 'downsize' your needs then it gets less spendy. One of the biggest costs of course are the batteries, but this can be achieved in a number of ways if your creative.

Wind power is no different really except that you can also get power at night.. but there is often no wind in the summer, just as there is little available radiation in the winter. Its an integrated system you need.

However, there are, I think priorities to consider before to you go 'all the way' to manufacturing your own electricity. More later.

Andrew

Anyone thought about methane ? must be a lot of sh1t in the farming areas they used to run cars on it in ww11 big gas bags on the roof heat your home for free and burn off green house gases at the same time ......and be called Billy no mates Phew

well 200,000,000 flies live off it !!!!!

Dave

Thank you Andrew for the information. At the moment the idea is very embrionic. I havent even bought my place in France yet but I have just seen examples of wind power solutions and wondered if, the greater expence of electricity in France made it a better economic proposition. If when I get a place a wind turbine is an option I plan to start quite small and only run lighting and things that can be plugged into the car charger like phones. A bit like the battery chargers boats have. It will of course all be decided when I have finally chosen somewhere.

As an aside, I only found this web site yesterday. It's fantastic for everyone from peoiple like me to folks who have lived the life of France for years. Thank you all.

As for Methane man you must let me know where you are and I'll look for a place far away!!! only joking

Archived