Complete France Forum

Treating new pine floors

Iceni

The 'workers' are laying a new pine floor. How do we treat it - it is upstairs in the bedroom area so will not get heavy wear.

We have already treated the floor in the apartment and that treatment has to come off next summer as it is useless - and we took advice on the product to use.

I know we need to hire a sander but other products need to be readily available in France and done by competent DIY'ers.

Another question, can you buy ready finished oak flooring in France. We want a really good floor for the main barn area and I know you can get finished floors in the UK. We also want to fit this ourselves.

Thanks in advance and, yes, I have searched the archives but could not find anything .

i've got some neighbours that layed finished oak floor, cost them around £50M2

all my floors on the ground floor of my house are pine, i hired a big sander and found it a nightmare to use and left grooves on the floor, i got better results with a good quality orbital sander.

good luck 

Hello Di,

I can't comment on pre-finished Oak flooring, I've little experience of it.

A few options for finishing bare Oak boards.

Hard wax oils are easily absorbed into the surface of the timber and easily applied but dry slowly, damage is more easily repaired and the appearance is more natural than a water based laquer finish, which dries quickly, is hardwearing and easy to clean and maintain, although damaged areas are not easy to repair.

Oil finishes, Danish or Tung require building up to the desired finish, are resilient and easy to repair, oils leave the timber with the most natural appearance. The time factor may be a disincentive, although you only get out of Oak what you put into it.

Good luck!

Chris

A floor finished with Tung oil can be sanded and oiled at a rate of about 25-30 m2 per day depending on how well it is laid. It can be walked on about 30 minutes after its coated with oil.

It dries hard and can be used as normal after 48 hours.

It reaches maximum Hardness (polymerised) after 72 hours.

It is non toxic and the smell is quite pleasant while applying - you do not have to evacuate the house. You can repair any part of the floor without stripping and reapply as with lacquers and varnish.

If you need more information on this process send me a PM or Email

Andrew

Alexis

I may have mentioned before in another thread but the Tung oil mix I use is a proprietary product and I am bound to the manufacturer not to retail it for DIY use on floors. His decision not mine.

If you search the net using Tung oil as the entry you will get a number of listings and preparations. Some from US and some European. There will also be some products which say that they contain Tung oil, (such as Danish oil). The application of this oil to get a good result is not straight forward as you have read but the results are outstanding. Naturally my remarks above relate to my own mix only as I cannot warrant other manufacturers products unless I've tried them.

Andrew

Andrew - I presume you have a business in France so have you looked around the bricos and noticed any proprietary brands of a similar product. I understand you cannot recommend any other product but it would be helpful if we knew roughly what to look for.

We have pine flooring upstairs and used a Luberon Black Bison wax and tint (available in all sheds) which we are really happy with and it's been down for 18 months now, but it's quite obvious that one day it will have to be redone so am interested in the Tung oil which you recommend.

I think pine flooring downstairs is a no-no as it's a soft wood and couldn't cope with the heavy traffic unless it's protected with large rugs etc.

Zeb, you'll have to get Tung oil from the UK, as availability here is not good, and when it is found the prices are prohibitive (unless someone can come up with a bulk supplier here for around 60 euro/5 ltr ttc).  Even within the UK the price range can fluctuate somewhat, unless you have a good relationship with a supplier.

It's important that folk reading in do understand that oil finishes are not the easy answer, but the results, in my opinion, outstrip any other product.

Hendo...any comments on difference of quality of Tung oil between various producers and prices one could expect to pay?

Happy oiling!

Chris

I have been using danish/tung/finishing oils on my furniture projects for quite a few years now you can find them here

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category.asp?cat_id=206900 

or here

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/

both I believe will deliver to France but have not tried them yet, to France I mean .

once a hour for a day, once a day for a week once a week for a month and once a month for a year.Finnish is wonderful

Dave

"Another question, can you buy ready finished oak flooring in France. We want a really good floor for the main barn area and I know you can get finished floors in the UK. We also want to fit this ourselves."

Di,

You are in 46 and so the timber yard that I use is not a million miles (kilometres) away from you.

Ets Coste
La Chapelle Péchaud
24250 Castelnaud
05 53 29 52 05

The owners, Christophe and Catherine Genson are very helpful - they carry a huge range of floorboards, both finished and unfinished. 20mm and 22mm oak in widths from 130mm to 180mm and lengths from 1m to 2m.

They also stock the full range of Blanchon natural wax/oil products for finishing plain boards, including pine. Also floor and edge sanders for hire.

Well worth a visit, if only to see their automated floorboard production line!

They are buried away in the countryside, and so if you would like more details on directions, etc please e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

I know the same saying Dave, but I'd drop the 'once an hour for a day bit', once a day for a week is my understanding of where the process starts!

Also, don't mix the wood oil with the massage oil, after a half hour or so you find your hands sticking to your wifes back and the ensuing laughter tends to suppress any intended ardour!

Chris

hi Chris

well you know me everything O.T.T. and perfect.Funny I was thinking of you when a funny post come up on the screwfixdirect forum about Richard Head and they way he had his name on the side of his van. any relation, his parents must have a sense of humour

Dave

[quote]hi Chris well you know me everything O.T.T. and perfect.Funny I was thinking of you when a funny post come up on the screwfixdirect forum about Richard Head and they way he had his name on the ...[/quote]

This is funny as I only posted to LF last week about a Richard Head I met at Centreparks and the name he used on the side of his van. - Anything to catch folks eyes and make them remember you.

[quote]"Another question, can you buy ready finished oak flooring in France. We want a really good floor for the main barn area and I know you can get finished floors in the UK. We also want to fit this ours...[/quote]

Hi Bob, John is already plotting the best way to get to La Chapelle Péchaud, as you noted not too far from us at all. We will def. go and give them a look. Our carpenter can lay the floor we choose (and don't I know it as they are laying pine boards above me as I try to work here, I look very fetching with my bright yellow ear plugs ).

Back to lunch for the workers and thanks again.

Archived