Complete France Forum

A reply from V33 about tung oil

Alexis

Why not get onto Axminster Power Tools on www.axminster.co.uk . They are a fantastic bunch and they will almost certainly send it over for you. I have used them for years and they will also give you good tech info if you need it. Request their catalogue and have a look. I know they send them here, that's how I got mine and, on my recomendation, a neighbour got his. But beware, you will probably spend a lot of time brousing through it.

I've just had a look at the book, page 14.32 Lib. Tung Oil £14.18 litre inc VAT plus p&p., a fiver for 250ml. Give them a ring, they may be able to help?

John.

I have used Axminster for quite a few years now, and used nearly all there supplied finishes including tung oil and danish oil but now tend to use this quite a lot :- http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22547&recno=4

find it gives a stronger finnish can be flattened back with wire wool and polished to give the finnish you want plus it`s a lot cheaper

you could also try:-

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/

Dave

Thank's for that info, looks interesting. If I want to make anything I've turned water resistant/proof I use the 2 part 'Plastic Coat', can't remember who makes it. Stinks like hell till it's dry and best applied outside otherwise the boss (Frances, wife) get right huffy, so do I. But when its dry it can be buffed to whatever finish you want.  I also use that grey stuff wot looks like a washing up scourer instead of wire wool, 1. it doesn't stick tiny bits in your hands and 2. I found that wire wool leaves tiny bits in the wood which can go rusty and mark the wood, especially if it's a light colour.

When I use 'Plastic Coat' I usually mix a small amount in an old 35mm film container and if there is any left I store it in the fridge and it lasts for ages. If it's left out then it goes solid quite quickly.

John.

A daft question, but did you know that Liberon are French?  They trade under the V33 umbrella.  They sent me a pamphlet mentioning this finishing oil.

My neighbour has offered to bring me some tung oil next time he comes over.  I really need a small sample to see if I like it.  I wonder if B&Q in Jersey will have it?  Will phone them.

Archived