Complete France Forum

LOFT CONVERSION

bixy

I'm hoping [one day] to convert our grenier to bedrooms and a bathroom. Can anyone suggest a good book [in English], one designed for a complete amateur, that I could follow? Hopefully, too, containing information about the permis de construire process.

And are there any websites that might help?

Thanks

Patrick

We are thinking along the same lines ourselves and we are gathering/accumulating knowledge pending the day when we might get started.

I can't give you the name of a book, but I can tell you that if the newly created area exceeds a certain (?) surface area, you will have to supply architect drawn plans with your application...

I undertand that anything which is lower that 1.80 m does not qualify as part of the floor area (i.e. surface habitable). So the eaves area beyond 1.80 m height is not included in your floor area calculations...

It is a shame that you don't want the instructions in French because quite regularly Sytem D and Maison & Travaux do features on converting.  I have a feeling they did this in M&T last month.  Certainly recently.

You could always look at the pictures

System D have a web site with lots of info on.  I will try to find it.  Also, Leroy Merlin have an excellent section on their site about people renovating, building etc.  Again, you can look at the pictures and learn what to ask for in the shops!

Archived