Complete France Forum

Gaz de ville - costs ?

Jensieboy

I have been reading through previous posts regarding ( in particular ) heating  barns and upstairs rooms..

Soon I will be in the position of considering energy sources for a project in Aude / Minervois ( ie hot summers, shortish yet occasionally cold and windy winters ). It's a 60sqm barn x 2 floors with 4m high ceilings on the ground floor.

The ville HAS gas and the pipe cannot be too far away as some other houses seem to have gas boilers. I will probably have some form of wood fire / burner downstairs as a feature and heat source - but the question is of how cheap / affordable natural gas is in order to use a 'combi' or 'mixte' boiler. In the UK it's considered low priced compared to Electricity and one would usually install this for cooking AND central heating.

How does it compare in France ? ( standing charge, connection and units used ) The question is, does it work out economical to use for central heating, hot water AND cooking ? I hear electricity is quite a bit cheaper in France - but is it worth messing about with small electric radiators ( or even underfloor electric heating ? ) and cumbersome 'water heaters'. Either way I want to COOK with gas whether bottles or mains gas.. I'd also like the house to function all year 'round if need be. Also, do the French consider Gaz de ville to be a bonus should it come to resale later on ?

I'd be very inerested to hear from anybody with some experience..

Thanks

Gaz de ville is considered to be a major plus by the French when it comes to buying a house.  I have a French friend house hunting at the moment for whom it is very high on her list of criteria.  Having lived in flats with electric heating and now with gas, I definitely found the gas cheaper here

Jane

.. sounds like what I wanted to hear.. I was a little uncomfortable with using all that electricity for heating and hot water. It may be a good option for seasonal use, but I want this project to be fully functional..

Now I've got to convince myself that I don't need to go the whole hoge and go for underfloor heating !

Thanks

Archived