Complete France Forum

Plumbing question

Alexis

Can someone tell me how they got the same size pipe down another one?

Did they heat it?  I need to pass the same size tube down another one..like someone has already done..but, of course, it won't go down!

I can't find the bit to 'sort me out' so I will have to re-think the great plan or rip it out in a rage and suffer the consequence!!!!

I'm a ripper outer I'm afraid!

When joining the same size copper pipe, we use a "flaring" tool which is a set of long handled tool with various dies that fit inside the pipe and flare the end out. Ours is a proffesional tool made by Virax , but the cheaper version is a solid flaring tool which you hammer gently into the end of the pipe.

A few points; Solid bars or Copper tube will need to be heated to temper them which makes flaring easier, but the coils of flexible copper (recuit) will flare without heating as they are already tempered.

The purpose of this way of joining is that you do not need a copper coupler fitting and the other advantage is that there is only one joint to braze, unlike a coupling which has two.

If you are joining two dissimilar pipe sizes, ie; 18mm to 16mm, then they will slip inside each other without the need for any fitting, as long as the pipe has been de-burred. the latter may be why you can get it to fit.

When we work on clients houses in France that have been plumbed in 15mm (uk size) we often adapt to French sizes, by flaring either the french copper pipe or the uk 15mm, to the correct size to get a snug joint.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thank you for that.

I'm afraid that I misled you.  I meant the ordinary plastic down pipes.  I have had to cut one to get the old loo out and it looks like I might have to replace the whole three stories of pipes if I can't either find a joint to suit or bash one end in!

Still, then I'll know they are new and they aren't dear....

Hi Alexis

What ever the size of pipe you have you will need a "connector"

which can be straight or an elbow ie. if you are using 100mm pipe you will need a 100mm connector. Your 100mm pipe has a outside dia of 100mm and the connector will have an inside dia of 100mm. You will need to clean your pipe ends carefully apply adhesive slide the connector over the pipe then insert the other pipe into the connector allow to dry for a couple of hours and job done

Bon chance

Stephen 

[quote]Thank you for that. I'm afraid that I misled you. I meant the ordinary plastic down pipes. I have had to cut one to get the old loo out and it looks like I might have to replace the whole three sto...[/quote]

When my waste pipes were done, some years ago I would think,  they appear to have used the same process as that for copper pipes, flared out the neck of one I would imagine with a little heat and inserted it over the other and glued it, recommended or not it appears to have lasted OK.  You can of course buy joints in bricco as fridgeman has said, but take along a piece of your old pipe as exterior dimensions can be different between manufacturers.

Archived