Complete France Forum

"Natural" roof insulation methods...and cheap..opinions please

bigjimbishop

I understand that the old way of insulating a roof was to use lamb/sheep wool straight off the animal.

Around my area they burn the wool because they can't sell it (cheap imports).

So in May I'm going round the farms collecting fleeses to insulate both my houses.

I'll be using holly behind the gutters to stop the animals getting in and brown paper to absorb moisture.

If the fleese is left unwashed it does smell for a year or two but repells most animals and insects.

Anybody got any other tips?

Dun(?)

That's great. Sheep wool is a terrific insualtor as we all know and it makes no sence that this resource is dumped (as you say).

Other great insualtors are hemp wool;the fibres of this plant are very long and make a terrific material if matted densly.

Cellulose, whcih can be made from any suitable wood resource such as recycled paper. It is blown into the space rather than laid in as a flat mat.

All of th above are exclent choises and have none of the dangerous dust problems from fiting and cutting. However they do require some treatment to supress mould, vermin and fire. In the case of Wool, fire is naturally suppressed by the lanoline and other composites, it is also a hydroscopic material whcih will wick away moisture from the undersurface.

I guess that you should consider some basic cleaning of the fleece to maks sure there are no extraneous vegtiable matter whcih will cause you problems.

Enjoy hearing more on your project.

Andrew

re lanolin being natural fire suppressant-i doubt it it is an oil and i expect it to burn -the plus side is it is good weather proofer due to the fact that it is an oil'. you see wte sheep but i bet most of the rain runs off.

how many sheep catch colds?

In an old house we renovated in the UK, chaff had been used as an insulator and very effective it was too for both heat and noise. We took it out though because we were worried about the fire risk.

I wonder if insurance companies would object to the use of wool.

Hoddy

I'm trying to be hippy eco friendly and not get too bogged down in chemicals. Also I'm after an almost free solution to insulation. It seems that a trip to any Bricolage shop is going to cost me 10Euro per sq m when you take into consideration the whole job, not just the rockwool and creatures love rockwool.

I believe that wool is rated as Class M2 fire resistant which is ok.

Jim

[quote]I understand that the old way of insulating a roof was to use lamb/sheep wool straight off the animal.Around my area they burn the wool because they can't sell it (cheap imports).So in May I'm going r...[/quote]

Hi

This sounds a great solution. Does the wool go directly under the tiles and where is the brown paper in the 'sandwich'? We have wool a plenty round here so this could be the ideal solution for me. Thank you.

Archived