Complete France Forum

Central heating on a timer.

zeb

In a discussion on oil-fired central heating (maybe on another forum), I commented that we have plugged our boiler into an ordinary programmable timer which switches the heating on and off at specified times. Someone said that this may cause carbon monoxide poisoning if the boiler switches off when it's firing up.

Anyway, as the boiler is nowhere near the living quarters and we have a drafty barn/sitting room inbetween I've left it on the timer. I've also put a carbon monoxide detector in the room but it hasn't registered anything untoward (or perhaps it's not working properly).

Have any experts any comment to make on this please? Is it unsafe? I nearly lost my mum to this a few years back (her cats died) so I know the dangers. Some of my friends and my immediate (French) neighbour regulate their heating, and their bills, this way. 

[quote]In a discussion on oil-fired central heating (maybe on another forum), I commented that we have plugged our boiler into an ordinary programmable timer which switches the heating on and off at specifie...[/quote]

Quite simple really;

Use a programmable thermostat, which replaces your existing thermostat. This will allow you to program different temps for different times etc etc. Of course, the N/O contacts of a conventional programmer, wired in series with your existing 'stat will do the same (ish).

As your boiler won't be able to tell why the stat has gone off, there cannot be an increased risk of anything (apart from saving money).

Available everywhere (I'm sad to say I bought mine from B&Q - £30, because the manual is in English.....)

BTW, I'm not sure that CO is an issue with oil-burning boilers - the same way that it is not with diesel cars? I am not a chemist...

Archived