Complete France Forum

Working in extreme weather......

Chris Head

Given the extremes in weather conditions and temperatures some of us have suffered in the last few months I wonder how y’all cope with it? Having worked all my life outdoors I’ve developed and been taught clothing systems and mental approaches that allow me to work a full day in any weather condition. For those of us who don’t eat unless we work perhaps we could help out those who are sitting by the fire and waiting for the spring to pop up?

A bientot, Chris

[quote]Given the extremes in weather conditions and temperatures some of us have suffered in the last few months I wonder how y’all cope with it? Having worked all my life outdoors I’ve developed and been ta...[/quote]

you have just answered the question " Why are there no trees in the Arctic circles "

Chris trained there

dave

got to keep smiling

1. No such thing as extreme weather - only inappropriate clothing (Billy Connolly)

2. JFDI (just effing do it) is an old Project Management maxim

If we all waited for the "right weather" nothing would get done, too cold, too wet, too hot etc. so what has to be done has to be done. Our barn conversion has continued in the recent chilly spell, more slowly than normal due to being Teletubbies lookalikes thanks to so many layers of clothes, but at least we are inside even though the temp is around and sometimes below the zero mark.

BTW does France have an "Offices, Shops and Railway Premises Act" ?

John

not

Walking out the door at 0730 and the cold hitting you like a sledge hammer 'aint pleasant, I personally put on good clothing, imagine I'm lying on a Carribean beach with Kelly le Brock and JFDI!

Chris

ps are the French seriously letting the Welsh into the country?

Well, we are trying to get on with the work as best we can, although it is impossible to do weeding, digging and lawn mowing but hey, who cares.......will get on with that when the weather is better. Hedge cutting and pruning at the moment in the afternoon sun.

Hubby is still working full-time with his jobs although the tiling of a cold cottage floor got to him last week as the tiles were so cold! His partner phoned us on Sunday night and pulled out for this week (he's self employed also so it's his choice - he's lucky as he has another income from composing and selling jingles!!)

At home, the barn/sitting room has been insulated completely at long last which makes things much more comfortable crossing it to get to lovely warm bathroom - not the mad dash in arctic conditions now.

I'm sure that all of us who work outdoors know the value of good clothing - we wear our brilliant motorbike thermals under everything else and I have a very trendy snowboarding hat with earflaps!

courage.......it won't last for ever Chris, and if we have another canicule this year you will find that harder to cope with!!

sorry.....no website to advertise myself with!

[quote]1. No such thing as extreme weather - only inappropriate clothing (Billy Connolly) 2. JFDI (just effing do it) is an old Project Management maxim If we all waited for the "right weather" nothing wou...[/quote]

Quote "If we all waited for the "right weather" nothing would get done, too cold, too wet, too hot etc. so what has to be done has to be done. Our barn conversion has continued in the recent chilly spell, more slowly than normal due to being Teletubbies lookalikes thanks to so many layers of clothes, but at least we are inside even though the temp is around and sometimes below the zero mark. " unquote

Not quite; First you have to actually get to work, and the weather can play a huge part in this. We had a very heavy snowfall last night here in Mayenne. I Left at 7.30 am this morning from Mayenne, via Evron, but couldn't get up the hill at Saint Suzanne, due to 2 lorries blocking road, and 3 cars in ditches, plus the compacted snow. No alternative routes (too dangerous - no gritting on France's minor roads). The gendarmes turned me back so it wasn't for want of trying!

I've worked outdoors all my life and are not usually beaten by the weather but looks like it's a day in the office. At least the kids are off school today so looks like it will be sledges and bonhomme de neiges!

Paul

My husband goes off with lots of thin layers of clothes with longjohns underneath and a good thick gillet over his jumper. Most importantly is a good hat and good footwear especially when working on concrete all day. Surprised to hear you had snow Paul, its cold here but dry and sunny with a few odd showers. Here if you don't work,you don't get paid and you don't eat - simple as that!

[quote]Walking out the door at 0730 and the cold hitting you like a sledge hammer 'aint pleasant, I personally put on good clothing, imagine I'm lying on a Carribean beach with Kelly le Brock and JFDI! Chri...[/quote]

what do you mean are the french allowing the welsh into france? i resemble that remark

Dave in 79....phew Limousin had a close escape! Next thing you know the Scots will want to live here and then we've got problems!  Are sheepshagging jokes baaaaaned on here?

When the going gets really tough out there then wear heavy denier tights under the thermals (always good fun raiding the wifes knicker drawer and convincing her that the fishnets are just for work dear), spend as much money as you can on socks, my winter socks cost 20 quid a pair and work beautifully.....goretex works wonders, once wet then the will saps soon after...lambswool tanktops as worn by pratty golfers as a layer are indispensible insulation....face skin like leather helps (check the website piccys, I only just turned 40!).

The summer protection is much simpler, in extreme heat, minimum of a litre an hour of water.

Happy grafting.

Chris

[quote]Dave in 79....phew Limousin had a close escape! Next thing you know the Scots will want to live here and then we've got problems! Are sheepshagging jokes baaaaaned on here? When the going gets reall...[/quote]

wonder how that got through the censor ??

chris you do not know how close we come to buying in the limousin ,we stayed in la Suterraine a few years back house hunting, in the hotel directly opposite the train station so  you now know we are prepared to rough it a bit, for those who do not know this hotel is about as rough as Nelly Shepherds brothel in Wrexham used to be, first time in my life I ever suffered from virtigo lying in a bed had to use the suit cases as stairs, but what a lovely little town.

Rememer seeing Diddier the rep from century 21 the one who looks like a spiv on a PLACE IN THE SUN same clothes on when he took us around Olive could not stop laughing .Nice place but thought weather too cold so we bought in 79 to get out of the     frost line ......... well at least the summers will be a bit warmer .

family used to have a dairy farm in the wilds of wales coedpoeth used to start milking a 6am so I know what cold feels like and yes you do get used to it

anyway this is a forum not a chat line so

see you soon

Dave & Olive

Archived