Complete France Forum

RE: Cost of Paint in France

Liz

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to buy Vinyl Silk in B&Q. It was certainly much cheaper than I could get here but the coverage was terrible and I had to buy a fresh lot locally to do the job again. We buy most of our paint in Brico Depot (same group as B&Q) and have found all kinds, outside and inside, oil based, vinyls and chaux excellent in quality and not bad on price. The range of colours is very good although they don't seem to have caught on to 'heritage' colours yet, still doing heritage the first time round I guess.

As for the reason for the difference in price I think you may have hit the nail on the head, Steve. We have not had the benefit of makeover programmes here so no one knows that they are supposed to paint their walls with assorted colours of vinyl silk rather than wallpaper. It is only in very recent years that shops have started selling wall paint, other than in basic white, in any quantity. I think it is just a case of what the market will bear. Reasons for substantial differences in prices on a number of products are difficult to fathom. Coffee, for instance, is much cheaper here, whereas tea bags are much dearer. It is just what the market is used to, and what the manufacturer can get away with, in a particular country.

On the plus side I would say that the majority of DIY goods are much cheaper than in the UK and, taking the B&Q/Brico Depot comparison we frequently walk round B&Q spotting goods that are priced with the same numbers as the same item in France, it's just that they have a £ sign in front rather than a Euro!

Liz (29)

I buy on promo.  Colour the white myself if needed.

Trouble with bringing paint from the UK is when you run out and you have half a metre left to do.....! 

There again you can buy more than you will need and have a tin over....

Been there.  Done that.  Got the paint splattered T Shirt

Hi

just a few points :

Cheap monocouche isn't cheap or monocouche.

I learned a lesson bringing varnish from Sweden (It may have withstood -25C in winter and 22 hrs of daily sunshine in summer, but it couldn't cope with light intensity and temperature here).

Most DIY places mix colours, so you won't see a wall of colours for sale.

The Valentine (Dulux)has worked well for me both indoors & outdoors.

The reason paint, and many other things, are expensive, is that until 20 years ago there was no DIY market. Only artisans could buy paint and they charged the earth.

Peter

Archived