Complete France Forum

Grouting mosaic tiles!

Dc

dc

Jointing mosaic tiles is much harder work than standard tiles - you have a very large joint to tile size area.

The method that I have found to work well is to pack the joint in firmly - leave for around half an hour - remove most of the excess joint with an almost dry dense sponge - leave for around an hour and then do several more passes with an almost dry sponge and clean water - do the same after another hour.

If you have a large area to tile then do not leave it too long to do the first clean-up - after a couple of m2.

After that, leave it overnight and then remove any traces of joint with an abrasive pad and water - the joint will be set by then.

The quality of the joint that you use will make a difference - forget the rubbish sold in the bricos - go to a professional carrelage supplier and tell them what you want it for. For a supplier in your in your area look at www.gapsa.fr

I have good results with Lanko Prolijoint M, available in white and a range of colours.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Hi

I used to very carefully press the grout into all the cracks with a trowel, wipe of with a 10 cm rubber squeegee, press the excess back in with finger, then sponge followed by polish with a soft cloth when dry.

Then I watched a professional (I had one huge area to do). He poured the grout over the floor from a bucket, pressed it in with a mansize squeegee, then, once dry; polished off the remainder with nylon potato sacks. Took him about 2 hrs to do 60m2.

I tried it myself and it works !

Peter

"Then I watched a professional (I had one huge area to do). He poured the grout over the floor from a bucket, pressed it in with a mansize squeegee, then, once dry; polished off the remainder with nylon potato sacks. Took him about 2 hrs to do 60m2."

Jointing 60m2 of mosaic tiles in 2 hours would be pretty well impossible for one person - are you talking about the same thing. Mosaics are tiny tiles on a mesh backing and are not suitable for floors and are not sold as such - rather for showers, bathroom worktops, etc.

Jointing and cleaning up 60m2 of any size tiles in two hours would be very good going for one person.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Archived