Complete France Forum

emptying fosse septiques

pechebernou

As we have no land someone suggested putting the fosse in the cave and having it emptied. Is this feasible? Is this expensive? What are the pros and cons? How often would it need to be emptied? There will usually only be 2 of us using the house as a holiday home 3 times a year if possible. Will it smell? Has anyone got any experience of this?

When we bought our property, it had a relatively new 1000litre fosse in the barn, just next to the house. This consisted of a catchment tank, a small gravel filter like a maze, and a run-off for the waste water. It did smell.

Don't forget that new regs require all water to enter the fosse, not just that from toilets, but from baths, showers, sinks, washing machines etc, and it'll soon fill up.

Emptying ours 2 years ago was €120.

Other things to take into consideration:

What space is available in the cave for excavation? You really DON'T want to do it by hand.

What SIZE fosse could you get in there?

Where would you vent it? (Gases escape, and air needs to lerave it as water enters.)

How would it get emptied? They certainly smell when being emptied.

Alcazar

My fosse is in the cave and it sometimes whiffs a bit. Oddly enough there is also a workbench in there from the previous owner, I guess he had no sense of smell. However, the cleaned water still has to drain away somewhere, mine drains under my drive. If you have no land you still have to make arrangements for a soakaway under somebody elses. Cost for emptying (in 2003) was about the same as Alcazar.

Can you have a large tank i.e. 6000L and empty it every few years? Does it still need a soakaway? or can you have a tank without one? Would a tank this size fill up quickly? Venting - could you go up on the outside? They are suggesting placing the tank in the cave (not excavating a hole). Do you think this is a good idea?

We have just a very small garden attached to our French property, even so, we can empt our Cess Pit on to it. We just pump it out, and the water percolates into the soil.

The pit - installed less than three years ago, holds five thousand litres. The same system is used for a rural property we use in England - the soil there is not as porous as in Brittany however.

Philip.

Archived