Complete France Forum

3 electrical questions

Orion

Sorry if these have been answered in the past but I can't find answers in the search facility.

1. Can an earth wire be shared by 2 different circuits ?

2. Are there rules about the surface on which the coffret d'electrique (fuse board) can be mounted?

3. Are there rulles concerning the covering for/ covering of the gaines/cables supply to and from the fuse board?

Thanks to all in advance and thanks to Punch for answers to previous questions.

Bill

Hi Bill,

In answer to your questions;

1. Can an earth wire be shared by 2 different circuits ? No. Each circuit requires it's own earth. Additionally, unlike the Uk IEE regulations, it is not necessary in France to have an earth wire at light switches (unless of course they are metallic and not double insulated , which is rare in France for domestic premises)

2. Are there rules about the surface on which the coffret d'electrique (fuse board) can be mounted? Yes,it should be mounted on a non combustible surface such as concrete, or plasterboard. Most manufacturers make a bakelite backing board for enclosing a coffret. I have to admit this regulation is largely ignored in France, but it is important because there is obviously a potential fire risk inside a tableau electrique.

3. Are there rules concerning the covering for/ covering of the gaines/cables supply to and from the fuse board? Yes, but you need to be more specific. Basically any singles insulated wire (fils) should be protected along it's entire length by either a gaine or moulure. "Cables" (double insulation) however, can be run surface mounted with no protection, but there are instances where cables should also be in gaine - for instance where they pass through walls and floors, and to be more asthetically pleasing, as well as for mechanical protection.

Thanks to all in advance and thanks to Punch for answers to previous questions.

Glad to help

Hi Punch

I was up early this morning too - 2 of the 3 kids had nigtmares. In the meantime I have been trying very hard to ge my own answers from a very comprehensive book by Thiery Gaillauziaux 'L'installation electrique'

Good news for me about no requirement for an earth line to the light switches (as qualified).

Re covering the gaine etc I really meant to ask about covering the gaines with cover panels. I have seen some for sale in plastic but they appear to be very expensive indeed.

I have a supplemental query now - can cable (u - 1000 - R2V I think) be used in gaine internally.  I have voids along both sides of the 1st floor (combles) where I can easily and quickly run these cables ( I bought lots at a bargain promotional price) and then they will go down into solid stone walls or into timber/plasterboard stud walls to the prises, switches and wall lights.  I understand that I shouln't run the u - 1000- R2V in the stud walls bare as these are not 'vides de construction'

Can I for example run to a junction box in u - 100 - R2V cable and switch to fils in gaine for the down parts of the circuit in the walls?

Thanks for your swift reply Punch. BTW where are you based?

Bll

Archived