Complete France Forum

Painting lambris

Iceni

Bit of a mistake on my part. We have sloping eves and I did not want more stained wood to face the cupboards so I saw white lambris and decided on that. Now there is going to be a lot of this lambris in the bathroom and in the spare bedroom,  mezzanine etc. John, who is very very organised went out and bought enough for all the work, and got white BUT it is wood with a white stain not real white so it looks grey and not very nice compared to the rest of the bathroom and white walls. It seems to be covered with a plastic film and also does not cut very well (splinters and when you rub off the rough edges the 'plastic' comes off.

Can I paint this at some time? I would rather a matt white paint but would cope with a gloss if I had no choice. I know I could take some offcuts and try to paint that but I don't want to find this looks OK, paint it and find the paint then scrapes off at the slightest touch as the plastic does not allow the paint to adhere. This is from floor to about 1.5 metres high and round the bath so it needs to take some wear and tear.

John also hates it so it is mutual

Hi Diana,

It looks very much to me as if you have bought something described as "Mélaminé", rather than covered with a primer, which would have been a possibility. Is your french up to phoning the place John bought them and asking them? The two terms are "mélaminé" as I said, and "avec couche d'impression" or "avec une sous-couche". If not, 05 55 28 63 99 will reach me and if you give me their phone number I can ask them - I probably know them anyway, I've shopped at several places near you.

It's critical because a sous-couche can be painted in any way you like, while you'd have to be a bit careful if it's mélaminé. I think it CAN be done, but you might have to be a bit careful over the first layer. I don't think you can put vinyl paint directly onto melamine. Best bet by far is to ask. 

Hi Ian

I have you down for a call later but for something quite different - the lambri is verni - which translates as 'varnished'. It is supposed to be finished. I have no intention of doing anything to this now but I just want it on my list of things to do in my spare time (joke) later. Thanks, Di

If it's verni, no problem. Sand down to provide a key and paint in a matt finish oil based paint - very widely available. I have recently taken to using a small fine roller for this sort of work and it gives an excellent finish with much less risk of runs, you'll have to use a brush in the grooves though.

Liz (29)

Archived