Complete France Forum

Planning Permission Required for Attic

I1

I am looking to convert an attic into bedrooms and a small bathroom.

The house excluding the attic is already larger than 170 sq m floor area. The attic is already floor boarded but roof is just roof (rafters, purlins, tiles, etc.). Attic itself is less than 170 sq m (measured outside).

I will also prefer to add a couple of Velux windows which I know I will need permission for, though would rather just apply for Velux permission only rather than permission for entire work.

Once the Velux windows Permis is sorted, do I need permission to construct bedrooms and bathroom in the attic or not ?

Any thoughts and knowledge much appreciated

It used to be the case that you only needed to make a declaration de travaux for puting in Velux windows. However, things are getting tighter in various bits of France. In two cases we have been helping people with documentation etc for Velux additions and in each case (one in dept 53, one in 61) the mairie has come back and asked for a permis de construire form to be filled in giving full details of the internal alterations.

As I have said before, we have already used up our allowance of habitable space in our house, and were told this when we had the extention to our balcony done. In fact our original plans for the balcony took us over the limit and we had to scale down. I did ask about the loft and they said no, and it was a very defineate no.

[quote]As I have said before, we have already used up our allowance of habitable space in our house, and were told this when we had the extention to our balcony done. In fact our original plans for the balco...[/quote]

When you say "allowance" was this a formally allocated "allowance" or just something where the Marie though "enough". I have looked through all my property paperwork and can find nothing with any measurements on (and also nothing saying the number of rooms, etc.).

There is a figure on my Tax Foncieres that might be tha surface area, unsure (the Proprietes baties, Base line (line under address)).

The allowance is the ratio of habitable space to land area. It is not normally a problem in rural areas but can be a poblem in  towns where houses are bigger relative to the size of the plot.

A Permis will normally be required for any work that increases habitable space ie Taxable space.

The house has a massive floor area (must be 450 sq m), but I have 4 ha land. What I guess will complicate things is that the bulk of the house area is in one commune whilst the bulk of the land is in a different commune (the commune boundary runs through the house).

FWIW my understanding of the rules is as follows

Where the habitable area of the house will exceed 170 m2 plans have to be submitted by a French registered architect. Yr attic is not currently inhabited therefore you need planning permission even if Velux windows in themselves do not nee permission.

But for the avoidance of doubt go to yr DDE and ask.

John

not

FWIW my understanding of the rules is as follows

Where the habitable area of the house is/will exceed 170 m2 plans have to be submitted by a French registered architect. Yr attic is not currently inhabited therefore you need planning permission even if Velux windows in themselves do not need permission.

But for the avoidance of doubt go to yr DDE and ask.

John

not

Now you have all got me worried! We have just finished making a room  in the sloping roof space over our garage(no velux but a window looking into our garden) which is attatched to the house. The builder,incedentaly the most reputable in our area said we didn`t need planning permission when I asked him before any work started.

Where do we go from here, keep quiet or what?

Mrs O

Archived