Complete France Forum

Renovating red clay floor tiles

Bannon

I have red clay floor tiles that have seen better days and need a bit of cleaning. I've been told that boiled linseed oil will bring them up as good as new. If that is the case, where can I can get some in France (or in the UK come to that!) Thanks.

Or go the Fired Earth website (www.firedearth.com - sorry, can't recall how to make this an active link!) and click on Technical Guides, choosing the Floor Tiling guide which will give you installation (including sealing), maintenance and renovation info for all types of natural floor coverings (stone, slate, terracotta, etc).

Ewa

[quote]Or go the Fired Earth website (www.firedearth.com - sorry, can't recall how to make this an active link!) and click on Technical Guides, choosing the Floor Tiling guide which will give you installatio...[/quote]

Thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...
Before using the linseed oil wash the tiles with a Hydrocloric acid solution then rinse several times and allow to dry. Mix the first coat of Linseed oil with White spirit about 1:1 and brush on, subsequent coats will need less White Spirit but beware it takes a long time to dry and will smell of Linseed (not unpleasant) for some time.

Linseed Oil (Huile de lin), Hydrocloric Acid and White spirit is available in Bricomarche. In the UK a good source of Linseed oil and all polishes and wood finishes is Fiddes of Cardiff www.fiddes.co.uk and very reasonable priced especially if you can collect from the factory.

Regards

Peter

Archived