Complete France Forum

Buying a house in france while already owning one

I own a house in France and want to buy another to replace it. Unlike England where I can find a buyer and then look for a new house and keep the buyer waiting and build up a chain, I have to advertise my house not knowing how long it will take to sell, and when it does sell I have to look for another which may take some time. How have other people managed the gap between selling one and buying another. I need the money from the first house to buy the second, so I cant have the two at the same time

Martin, surely the only answer to your query is to put the house up for sale and make a few inquiries locally to size up the rental market. When eventually you get an offer and accept it, you arrange to take a six month let near the completion date and move out your posessions!. Then you start looking for the new house to buy!

We have a house in 17 which we have owned since September 2001, with a view to retiring there in a couple of years.  For family reasons we may have to sell & move further north. If we cannot tie up a sale & purchase together are we liable for CGT? Does this apply if we sell & then purchase sometime later (say 6 months)?  Thanks for any info

Kathy (Brighton pro tem)

Archived