Complete France Forum

Lathes

Danny

This is not house renovations but I am in the process of setting up my musical instrument repair business and need to equip my workshop, near Cahors SW France. Can anyone help with finding a small lathe (something similar to Myfords) as well as some other machines.  It is very difficult to find anything except huge industrial machines. Somewhere in the South West Toulouse, Montauban would be useful as it really is necessary to see something before I buy.

Getting a bit frustrated... and not fancying buying something from the UK and getting it all the way down here.

Many thanks

Danny

Hi Jane,

have you looked in the small electrical tools section of your local Obry? They have moderate sized tools, not just big stuff. (I'm afraid I don't know Myfords). You ought to have one in Cahors, if not, Brive la Gaillarde has about 4 different quite good DIY shops, incuding Obry. If you want  more info, come back to me and I can tell you their names and where to find them. Brive's only about an hour north of you up the A20.

For metalworking lathes take a look at Opti-Machines www.optimachines.com

I have used them a few times and their product range and service is very good.

I would think that in your area of France, the chances of finding any dealers where you can go and look at the product first would be very slim.

If you know the spec of the machine that you are looking for then buying ‘unseen’ is fairly safe. I buy tools and machines from the UK and within France via the internet, and have never had any problems.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Archived