Complete France Forum

Elect supply to swimming pool equipment

Vaughat

I am having a swimming pool installed and have been told that I have to provide the electricity supply to the filter/pump room. I will have to run the cable approx 65m underground to the pumphouse. I do not know what the size of the pump etc is but can anybody tell me what size cable would typically be used for the supply over this distance. I could put a 3 phase supply to the pumps if that would be better.

Thanks

Tony  (16)

You would save yourself a whole lot of trouble and angst if you find out what equipment the pump house will have. No person in their right mind would buy 65 metres of a cable not knowing what the load is .

The run of 65 metres is quite long so you need to make sure the voltage drop isn't an issue. You can only calculate this once you know what the load is. You REALLY need to know if three phase is required or not as this makes a difference to the size of each conductor.

For instance a 12KW supply on single phase could (possibly) be run with a three core (phase neutral and earth) 16mm cable. BUt the same supply on three phase would need a 5core cable (three phases, neutral if required and earth), but cable size could be reduced to say 4 or 6mm.

This is only a guide to give you an idea, I Hope this makes sense,

Paul

[quote]I am having a swimming pool installed and have been told that I have to provide the electricity supply to the filter/pump room. I will have to run the cable approx 65m underground to the pumphouse. I ...[/quote]

Paul is quite right, but, if you are not using electric heating for your pool (& who would, at these prices!), then your filter pump is not likely to be more than 3hp = 2250Watts which is about 10Amps. Better ask the question of your installer, then Paul will be able to give you a definative answer!

When you do this installation make sure that your electrician fits an extra (spare) outdoor socket in the pumphouse in case you want to fit a Automatic Pool Controller in the future.

It'll save a return trip from the electrician.

Andrew

Archived