Complete France Forum

Power Washer Problems

Dick Smith

As I stated in an earlier post on another thread I have just bought a Kärcher powerwasher to replace an older B&Q one - the reason being that the B&Q cheapie would work for a few minutes and then pack up. Eventually it stopped working altogether.

This morning I excitedly unpacked the new one, set it up and - after 15 minutes of use - it stopped.

It must be me - what am I doing wrong?

I have a full length of hose (well over 10m) and I am washing out moss and earth between paving slabs and giving the slabs a quick sluice, no more.

Help, please - £70 for a quarter of an hour's use!

The pumps are protected by a thermal cut out, and I reckon that the cheap ones , including a bottom of the range Karcher's thaink that 15 minutes is enough for most domestic jobs. Leave for half an hour and start again.

I wonder if they set them low on the low side not only to protect the pump but also to protect the sales of the larger professional models!

Could be that. After half an hour I tried it again and it pumped for maybe half a second and cut out. If I started it up with the trigger on the spray head held in it worked fine...

I'll see if that works on the 'broken' one when I feel able to withstand the disappointment if it works!

Power washers do need a reasonable amount of water pressure otherwise they will continually cut out. If the supply you are using suffers a reduced pressure when another outlet is used, such as washing machine, toilet flush, shower/ bath this could be the cause of your troubles. In my previous home the water supply pressure was poor and it was a nightmare trying to use a pressure washer, but now in my present home it is with great satisfaction the jobs that I am able to do with my washer no longer cutting out.

A possible cure is to draw the water directly out of a rain butt, swimming pool etc the machine is then able to take the amount of water it requires and you will surprised how  little it uses.

Baz.

Ah! When I said reduced pressure I meant that I was reducing it so as not to strain the pump.

Duh!

Also using a long hose (Kärcher reckon 10m minimum) which then loops around a lot, so may reduce pressure further.

Double Duh!

Thanks all, I'll give it another go in the morning.

Archived