Complete France Forum

window into doorway

bobh

I want to knock out a window in the rear of my cottage that I own in the Limousin area into a large doorway. My problem is the walls are 500mm thick out of stones and they support the roof although the floor timbers run the same way as the wall. How do I remove the window without the cottage collapsing and install a lintel and where can I purchase a lintel and what is a lintel called in french.any suggesting please.

bobh

Bob - this is not meant as a downer, but the first thing I would do is get a builder in! If you don't already know how to put a lintel in I think you are looking at a risky job. Apart from anything else a builder will be insured in case anything goes wrong. You may also need permission to enlarge the opening, so a visit to the mairie to check would be a good idea. A lintel is un linteau.

Yes you must submit a Déclaration de Travaux before you start to do any sort of work. Without permission you can be made to restore the opening to the former window if the authorities decide to make an example of you. Knocking through a stone supporting wall is not for the amateur with no proper supporting equipment, I should know after 32 years of it so for your own sake,get a proper artisan in with the relevent guarantees and insurances and also you can get it currently at 5,5% TVA.

Archived