Complete France Forum

Glass "bricks"

Alcazar

Those square ones around 200mm square and about 80mm thick.

Wife has decided that the internal bathroom shall have the top couple of blocks finished off with these things (at €4 each!!), but has anyone any tips on laying them?

Thanks.

Alcazar

I remember seeing this on one of the DIY shows and it wasn't for the fainthearted! No 1 son has used blocks to cut off a galley kitchen and they look ace, but took a time to lay.

Google 'laying glass bricks' and there are a number of sites giving advice on techniques and materials.

I'll tell you how not to lay them! 

Don't come home drunk one night and decide that's a good time to get stuck in. 

And if you do, then don't use your bare hands to stuff the mortar in between them. I had skin peeling off for weeks.

Mind you, that said, the glass wall acutally didn't look too bad.. I consider the bulge to add character.  And pure alcohol got the excess mortar off the blocks a treat.

The right way to do it is to use the spacers you can buy with the blocks, and get the purpose made strips of foamey stuff to go around the area which will be bloked in (to allow for movement).  You also get little metal brackets which you use every few rows to secure the whole structure to the wall, but if you're only doing a couple of rows you mightn't need 'em.

I also have a row of these above my bedroom doors to let a little more light into the hall - I didn't mortar these in at all, we just laid them in the doorframe we'd made and then used trim around the edges and they look great.

We have just completed a brand new bathroom/bedroom extension for a client and have installed a glass brick wall for the shower as being rather large people, felt claustraphobic in a cubicle. Obviously we have to guarantee the work for ten years so we ordered a complete kit which had everything we needed except for the extra mastic to make it even more waterproof. They are not the easiest of building projects to take on if you are not confident and keeping an eye on the level and how quick the colle sets needs to be taken into account. I believe we paid a trade price of about 800€ for the kit which was a frosted clear one,but I have seen very cheap kits in Leroy Merlin - you get what you pay for today.

Archived