Complete France Forum

moving consumer unit

jojojo

I have to move a consumer so I will have to extend some of the cables to reach the unit (about a extra foot in length), can anybody tell me the best way to do it? I’m told terminal blocks are not a good idea..thanks

All the existing cables should be brought into a large enough plastic junction box with a lid held on by screws (rather than a clip off lid). Then extend each cable using the same size wire or larger into the new consumer unit. There is no problem using connector blocks as long as care is made with every connection. Any joint in any cable MUST be enclosed in an appropriate junction box, and not just left exposed or taped up. (Most electrical fires are caused by badly made connections). Make sure the connector block is rated high enough for the current it will be handling. I prefer to use the push in "wago" type connectors rather than connector blocks, as they are quicker and better insulated. Make sure the entry and exit holes to the box are properly sealed and that you respect the size of circuit breakers or fuses in relation to the circuits being protected.

Paul

Thank for your help and info it really is much appreciated, but can you guess what I’m going to ask you now????… You guessed it where do I get "wago" connectors? I’ve never seen in the brico places.. but maybe I haven’t looked properly as I have only looked at connector blocks..

thanks again

The larger Bricos will sell them but probably in small packets which may make them more expensive, depending on how many you need. I buy mine by the box from an electrical wholesaler so if you have one nearby then go in and ask.

Paul

In my opinion the push in type connectors are not as good as the screw type

the reason being they are relying on the tensile of the piece of metal inside to make the connection by biting into the conductor

The screw ones are fine and the cables easily disconnected if required

It is a good idea to leave some form of circuit identification near the box so the connections are easily traced in years to come

just my view

[quote]In my opinion the push in type connectors are not as good as the screw typethe reason being they are relying on the tensile of the piece of metal inside to make the connection by biting into the condu...[/quote]

I disagree; Connector blocks are somewhat old hat these days, although they do of course still have their uses. The Wago type connectors have been around for years and are fully compliant with all European Normes. They not only hold the wires very well; they are totally de-mountable by twisting, and are difficult to get wrong - As well as being totally insulated and with test holes for a probe. Some are also transparent so you can see the connection inside. I can join up a French junction box in half the time using these than using connector blocks, so their is a time saving factor as well.

In the wrong hands, connector blocks  can be over tightened too much, thus breaking the wire  and often need additional insulation, such as tape. It's just a good example where technology has evolved to make life easier. 

Good point about circuit identification.

Paul

Sorry Paul then this will just be a disagreement then

With regards to screw fitting, maybe in the hands of amateurs the screw ones do not work well but if you buy the ones with the engineered screws with flat ends then this should not happen even for them

The connection should not need tape if made correctly as the insulation is taken to the end

If the job is done correctly then a din rail terminal strip should be fitted, but I am sure many people would not go to this and proper crimped ends used with number identification for the circuit P and ID

You will have observed that all din rail connections, sockets, switches and appliances use screws.

Considering the number of screw type blocks used then I do not beleive they are old fashioned I personally would only use push fits on elv and elv amperage

but each to his own

Archived