Complete France Forum

Loft conversion

Mr Coeur de Lion

Hello,

I am hoping to do a loft-conversion on a house that I am buying.  My immobilier seems to think that I do not need to get a permis de construction for a loft-conversion, but I have sort of gotten the impression from various things I have been reading that I would need one.  He said that all I need to do is fill in a form saying that the living space has increased. 

I asked if I could get a CU with the simple information and the operational information for a loft conversion but he didn't know what I was talking about.  He said I just go ahead and do it and only have to put in a declaration de travaux for any window/external changes.

The final total living area of the house will be about 130m2.  The road I was going to go down was to get the CU and if the loft-conversion idea is feasible, then put in a permis de construction for the conversion.   It seems that I am making work for myself.

Can anyone tell me where I have gotten my wires crossed?

Kind regards,

Lynda

Your building should already have a CU (if not you cannot live in it) and this will cover the loft as well as the bits that are already habitable - so I guess this is where the agent got confused.

Suggest you should discuss your ideas with the marie when you arrive and then they can confirm whether you need a PdC or the more simple DdT.

Lynda

By a CU, I assume that you mean a  certificate d'urbanisation (change of use certificate)? 

As far as I am aware a CU is only required for a conversion of a non residential builing like a barn or stable etc into a house.   I agree with Steve, all you need is a declaration of travaux for a loft conversion, unless you are doing velux windows, in which case you will need a permis de constuire.

Absolutely fantastic!  I am so happy to be wrong!

Thank you so much for clearing this question up for me.  It was really bugging me.  It will all be so much more simpler for me now.

I have just gone through 18 months of intensive planning development in Australia and the thought of more of it was worrying me no end. 

Again,  THANK YOU.

Lynda

Archived