Complete France Forum

Gouttier/guttering

Jenny Rennes

Hello people

Our 125 year old granite stone house has a slate roof fixed with clips that are 'U' shaped one end to support the slate and tapered into a spike the other end which is nailed into the roof timber.There is no guttering and it does not look as if there ever has been but we have a bit of a damp problem and have been advised that guttering the roof will help no end.

The nearby houses have a gutter that is unlike the simple UK half-pipe system and appears to be a galvanised zinc or aluminium 'tray' that sits on top of the slates just above the lowest point of the roof and is tucked underneath the slate above it.It is very attractive and I want it.

Questions 

Is it difficult to install ?  my partner is a very competent DIYer and can do most building type things very well. How much do the materials cost ? Do we need planning consent ?

Any advice will be appreciated and any good info or tips regarding the actual process of removing the existing slates, inserting the gutter and replacing the slates will be REALLY appreciated.

Merci,

jenny 

DIY skills are not the same as a professional artisan. Be warned that messing with the roof slates here can lead to problems if you are not working with them regularly especially if they are fairly old and start to break up. As an artisan's wife and having seen some terrible bodge-ups by  supposedly competant DIY-ers I would recommend you get this work done properly and have the paperwork and guarantee to cover it. Be aware that zinc is usually only allowed on older properties in Brittany and is the preferred material by the pompiers so that it dosn't warp/melt in the case of roof fire when they put their ladders up against it for support.

[quote]Hello people Our 125 year old granite stone house has a slate roof fixed with clips that are 'U' shaped one end to support the slate and tapered into a spike the other end which is nailed into the r...[/quote]

I think the style of gutter you have seen is gouttiere Nantaise. I can't tell you much more than that but hopefully this will help with your research.  I think I have only seen it on new roofs so I am not at all sure it is a viable proposition to retro fit.

Liz (29)

Archived