Complete France Forum

painting shutters

Andrewjspencer

Been here in Ouistreham (14) for a few days now and the MIL/Belle Mere is hinting heavily that the shutters on her house need repainting and that she has a very good ladder in the garage

Looking at the hinges it appears it may be easy to lift the shutter up and off the hinge to be taken down for painting laid flat (no runs etc) and more importantly without me having to risk spending time up a ladder - not one of my favourite places. The shutters are the original 1950s wooden variety.

Has anyone successfully tried this approach or is it better to do the work leaving the Volet en situ?

Of course, if all the advice is to leave this well alone and call in the professionals then I will pass that on to the MIL/B-M and find something else to pass the time during the next few week!

Yes, OH lifted our shutters off and sanded and painted. I for one was not too happy to see him up a ladder lifting heavy, wooden shutters from the upper floor. It's a time consuming job, if I were you Andrew, I would try to persuade the in-laws to employ a professional painter.

Bonne chance

Gill

While we are on the subject...

1) I was surprised to see mention of a varnish. Most of the ones I see are what I would call 'stained', or is that just French paint being different again ?

2) I have some large sliding shutters (patio doors) that need a bit of tlc. Has anybody any experience of unhanging and re-hanging something like that ? (I am in 'look before you leap' mode).

3) The louvres seem awkward to me. Is it easier to spray paint ?

Cheers all

Shutters are much easier to paint on the ground so the coloured water that passes for paint here does not have a chance to run

You just lift them off the hinges as others have said. If you can open and close them from the inside then you should be able to take them off the hinges from the inside too, you do not need a ladder. This reduces the risks of you falling off the ladder while you attempt to lift the shutter off its hinges  but increases the risk of you falling out of the window.

You can get plastic sleeves in the bricos for the hinges that reduce rust and make removal a little bit easier.

If you can open and close them from the inside then you should be able to take them off the hinges from the inside too, you do not need a ladder. This reduces the risks of you falling off the ladder while you attempt to lift the shutter off

Absolutely! I felt much happier once we had discovered this technique.

Aren't the houses very tall in Ouistreham ? Maybe a local builder would get the shutters down (and up again) and that would really help you.

I am just concerned for your safety!

Gill

In the process of painting ours at the moment. Mr M having already done the four largest ones at ground level by lifting them off their hinges, decided to climb the ladder and remove the ones from the bedroom window using the same method. Secured ladder, climbed ladder, let go of ladder to lift shutter off hinge, shutter went one way and he the other!!!! landed in the rose bushes and lacerated all his bits and pieces!!! No serious damage thankfully - just to his pride!. (Glad the voisins can't understand english swear words.) Used the inside out method to re-hang them with me hanging on to his legs from inside the bedroom!! This seems to be the safest way.

thanks to everyone for their advice and info. I thought I has posted a reply last night but it seems to have found a black hole!

Will try the lift and remove option - will start at ground floor anyway. Bought some paint etc today so already to start early tmrw morning.

Yes, some houses here in Ouistreham are tall - more like small castles really - but thankfully this 1950's villa is relatively normal height wise.

I'll let you know how the work proceeds and if I find any useful tips!

a bientot

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update (God, I do miss Broadband )

One set of shutters completed. Been an education reading the info on the products in Bricomarche  - but got there in the end. Even though the OH is Francaise she ahs never painted a thing in her life before so was none the wiser!

On an unrelated point it appears most of the chain stores here can accept UK debit cars without the need to sign a receipt. However, some of the key pads ask you to choose your language then only offer FR as an option - made me chuckle! I was the first Carte Anglais the checkout girl in Bricomarche had encountered - she got a bit worried when the till didin't produce a receipt for me to sign but wa spleased to hear les rosbifs are catching up with their use of PINs!

Anyway, 2nd set of shutters are lined up for tomorrow although using a hot air gun in the expected 28 C isn't too inviting!

A bientot 

• 2 weeks later...
hi All

Sadly just back from Ouistreham all round.....

must say painting shutters is not a quick job esp when involves stripping off all the paint, filling the open joints, sous couche, then "top" couche X 2 (at least) to finish off. Managed to kill off one cheap hot air gun from Bricomarche - so cheap not worth trying to get a refund - but the end result was not too bad - although still a few ground floor pairs to do - and was very much appreciated by the MIL/Belle Mere. In the end she insisted on paying for the materials which I happily agreed to.

Next visit can't be until Xmas but she has already mentioned moving on to the pair on the kitchen window!!!!

Anyway, back to the daily grind in dear ol' blighty...... One more Pommeau before bed time !

Brit paint may be OK for the very north of France, I'm not even sure of that. But there is no way I would bring brit paint here where we get extreme temperatures. The paint I buy here is usually up to the job.

ps AJS, pleased that your MIL paid for her own paint.

Can't agree with you there, TU.  I've been at 1500 metres in the Pyrenees for a dozen years and more (about 500 metres from Spain) and I get serious extremes of temperature and weather conditions.  The French paint has never been up to the job but decent Brit paint does a lot better.  I've had the same experience in Greece also.  It's a fag getting it here but the results are well worth it!

Archived