Complete France Forum

Insureance and guarantees

Ernie

I would presume from the first day of doing any work right upto shutting the door and leaving although our insurances run 365 days per year anyway regardless of when we stop and start. Just be grateful you have an attestation and someone reliable enough to be covered - many have been caught out here. In the past we have walked off a few jobs where the clients have taken so long to pay we don't want to work for them anymore. I then send them and our insurers a registered letter giving the date of finish and saying any further works are not our responsibility and we take photos too.

Understand that, Val2, but it's not what i was asking. I'm someone who paid the majority of the money to a builder last year but the work's still not finished and some of the work is faulty, and, as I said, the attestation only seems to cover from now. What i'm trying to find out is if everything was done in 2004, have I got 10 year guarantees on the work done??? Probably not, eh? So, yes, Val, i undertand about builders walking off the job - that's what it feels like to me! He's got the money and I haven't got the insurance! Doesn't feel 'lucky' to me, Val!

Ernie

Thanks for pointing out that little scam, motorhead, but again it's not quite my situation. In my case, it's true he hasn't finished the job, but I don't think I could claim anyway as it seems as if the insurance he's offered us now, isn't valid for the work he's actually done. That's why i can't claim isn't it? Anyone like to confirm or contradict that?  The funny thing is, when i asked him about guarantees at the beginningt of the job he reassured me that all the artisans wre covered. i believed him! (yes, yes, more fool me, i hear you say!) but he seemed fine enough, siret number, spec, estimates for each part of the job, etc etc...

Archived