Complete France Forum

New to forum - advice for renovation

bwfc1965

Hi all, I`m in the process of purchasing a barn which needs major renovation, in Brittany near  to meneac, which is near to merdrignac. I will require the following artisans:

Installer of septic tank

Joiner for installing stairs x2

Plumber to install hot water

Electrician for full re-wire.

Can anyone advise or recommend re the above?

Also which is the nearest Bricolage or similar to Merdrignac?

Thanks Steve Mills

Try les Pages Jaunes for your local artisans. If you want english speaking artisans then look in the French Property News but check they are properly registered and insured to work here. Otherwise ask neighbours and at your local mairie who will give you the names of the local artisans. Beware that currently anyone worth their salt will be upto their eyes with work as the lower rate of TVA is due to end on 31.12.05 unless there is a reprieve.

Try les Pages Jaunes for your local artisans. If you want english speaking artisans then look in the French Property News but check they are properly registered and insured to work here. Otherwise ask neighbours and at your local mairie who will give you the names of the local artisans. Beware that currently anyone worth their salt will be upto their eyes with work as the lower rate of TVA is due to end on 31.12.05 unless there is a reprieve.

Actually in Merdrignac is Michigan where you can get bits and bobs but the best place is Leroy Merlin in St Brieuc.  There is also a shop next door to Michigan which sells everything.  Building yard in fact.

La Trinite Porhoet has Big Mat.

Mauron has Queguin....can never spell their name.

St Meen Le Grand has a good M.Bricolage.

Plöermel had a new superdooper Bricomarche and Weldoms is now M.Bricolage.

Josselin has a M.Bricolage too but not very well stocked compared to the others.  They also have a Queguiners....sp!

I can recommend a man for a fosse so let me know if you want his telephone number.  He is French.  He lives in Ménéac.  The electrician who put our hot tank in was from La Trinite Porhoet.  The joiner who did our windows would do stairs but he is snowed under with work.  There is an English carpenter not far away, all registered and everything but I have never used him.

Archived