Complete France Forum

Life of a liner?

zeb

We spent yesterday getting ready for winter, which involved pulling out woodburner, sweeping the chimney (can't get a ramoneur for love or money at the moment), shoving up a flexi liner (which had to be manipulated into an oval shape to go up), fixing it to the top and then constructing and laying the slate hearth (which looks fantastic)!

(Yes, I know that we are meant to push the liner down but we have a chimney cap cimented on and that made it impossible).

When we put the woodburner back in place we need to fit the reducer on to join the flue to the flexi liner and hopefully it should just wedge on or should it have fire ciment or something around it? Obviously we will need to be able to take it apart next time the chimney needs a sweep.

The other question is - this is the first time we have used a liner, how often do they need replacing?

• 4 weeks later...
Zeb only just found this one but I would need to know the following to guess the life of the liner

1 Is it a flexible double insulated, that is inner core then insulation then outer sheath?

What is the liner made of in relation to the metal and what if any is the insulation?

Thickness of the inner metal?

If the metal is stainless steel I need to know what grade eg

321, 304, 316, 316 s ,

with this info i could give you a guesstimate

regards VJ

Archived