Complete France Forum

sanitary ware

Lapaix

Hi,

We have to buy a new shower, loo, etc., and have been told by two different that the best place is - by one - Brico Depot; by the other - Leroy Merlin.  Both are near Rennes, so easy for us to get to, so we will probably visit both.  But, have any posters got any advice, horror stories, good endings, etc., about either/both?

Lynda

Basically, you get what you pay for. Brico Depot is cheap and generally low quality, though they appeal to the typically British desire to save the last centime when buying. Leroy Merlin is probably best described as mid-range.

We had three loos fitted whidh came from Brico Depot - not the ones we had picked out from the catalogue, which were out of stock, but cheaper ones (on which the fitter was proud to have saved money) and these were absolute rubbish. The ceramic parts were OK, better than the elderly ones they replaced, but the flush mechanisms never worked properly. Although the fitter kept coming back to re-adjust them I ended up changing them for decent ones which I think cost as much as the rest of the loo. For stuff we have chosen and bought ourselves we have used Lapeyre (probably one in Rennes, there is one in Laval) and also BAO, not sure if there is one of those nearby to you, they seem to be Normandy-based.

Thanks, guys!  We are actually between Mortain and St Hilaire du Harcouet, but were travelling to Rennes on the recommendation of others.  We don't want to put in rubbish and spend a fortune sorting it out, but we do want good value for money - doesn't everyone?  We were also told that Leroy Merlin has lots of choice, so perhaps they sell some better quality stuff?

More advice please!

Lynda

I know there is a negative comment about one branch of BAO, but I would recommend you look at the Avranches branch as it's near you and maybe talk to the staff there. We have always found them very helpful and obliging. Most such stores in France are franchises and standards of management and staffing differ widely. While there look at a nearby newish store over the road (next to Conforama) - I think it may be Aubade. Aubade is well worth a look anyway, there is one in Vire, though they seem to offer tiles more than sanitary ware, and almost certainly one at Rennes (Fougeres might be nearer). Don't know much about Leroy Merlin, have only been to Caen, but it is well worth a look, a good range of stuff and definitely better quality in general than the cheapy places.

Most such places have web sites (not BAO though) which are not always very easily navigated or informative - typically French - but will give you a good idea of the range and quality available. They are easily found using Google.

BAO is at the Parc de la Baie (I think it's called). It's to the south of the town of Avranches, on the road towards Mont St Michel. From St-Hilaire (N176) you turn on to the motorway, direction of Caen, and after 2-3km leave the motorway as if you were travelling to the centre of Avranches. At the second roundabout (by B&B Hotel and Foir Fouille) turn left, follow the road past Hygena and Decathlon, and you will find BAO at the end where the road turns left again. If coming from Mortain, leave Avranches in the Mont St Michel direction and you will find the B&B roundabout at the bottom of the hill. BAO sells bathrooms, kitchens, tiles, flooring, taps etc.

[quote]Thanks, guys! We are actually between Mortain and St Hilaire du Harcouet, but were travelling to Rennes on the recommendation of others. We don't want to put in rubbish and spend a fortune sorting i...[/quote]

hi lynda, i have looked and looked in france but could not find anything of good quality compared to uk, i have bought my sanitary ware in uk and it is coming over for approx £300.  i have a fantastic contact that can do u original french or copy french excellent quality mostly in fireclay.  i can give u number if u require.  jeanm

Archived