Complete France Forum

ref books on DIY

Pault

I am just about to go to my new pad in Chamonix and fit some new ceiling lights and light switches. does anyone know a good book that explains the difference between french wires and Uk wires (colours etc) I have bought all the lights and switches from the UK and assume they will match up. but you know what the say about assumption.

silly question i know but you have to start somewhere

Thanks

[quote]I am just about to go to my new pad in Chamonix and fit some new ceiling lights and light switches. does anyone know a good book that explains the difference between french wires and Uk wires (colours...[/quote]

Silly question indeed!

Don't use the UK electrical fittings. They are not legal here, nor will they be replaceable because the back boxes are different, etc etc.

French wiring colours, systems and methods are totally different from those in the UK. There are lots of books (in French) on how to wire your house, but none (that I am aware of) that detail the differences (why would there be, do it correctly and the differences are not important!).

If you don't know what you are doing, use an electrician - your insurance company would prefer it!

Given how French insurance companies try to find any reasons for not paying up any claim, and from what I have seen others comment about, I would expect that if you had a fire (or any other problem resulting in a claim), the insurance company would try to use UK fittings as a reason for not paying up.

Ian

I would recommend:

"L'installation electrique" by Gallauziaux & Fedullo, published by Edition Eyrolles which is very good, lots of excellent diagrams, examples, and is up to speed with NF C 15-100

"Locaux d'Habitation: Installation Electrique", a little red book published by Promotelec and can be purchased on-line www.promotelec.com

As above, don't use any UK stuff, it is not compatible. Use only stuff purchased in France with NF marks. It's a great shame because some of the French equipment seems very lightweight and fragile compared with UK equivalents, but rules is rules.

Jim  

Oh, in addition:

In any reasonably recent house, French colour coding:

Blue is always neutral,

Yellow / green stripey is earth

Phase is generally red or black but can be any colour of the rainbow depending on the mood of the installer except blue and yellow / green.

If the wiring is vintage, you are in the lap of the gods regarding colours. Wiring circuits probably won't be earthed. Check carefully with multimeter.

Jim

[quote]Oh, in addition: In any reasonably recent house, French colour coding: Blue is always neutral, Yellow / green stripey is earth Phase is generally red or black but can be any colour of the rainbow...[/quote]

hi

you jest of course on the colour codes, blue always ,N ,yellow and green always earth ,,,,,,

yellow / green is a live feed in our house .......so donot trust or belive anything other than your meter.

dave

Archived